• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking CeleronII 1.1 ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PencilNeck

I recently upgraded to a CeleronII 1.1 ghz flip chip. I am only able to overclock this chip to 1157mhz. All higher speeds lock up once I get to Windows ME (wallpaper appears, with mouse pointer in center-- then locks up). I tried Safe Mode and am able to boot at 1320mhz, sometimes at 1364. I tried using CPUFsb (software), hoping that I could change the bus speed after boot up was complete, but it only allows me to go down in speed. If I try to go up, the same lockup occurs. Any ideas about how to push the clock speed a little higher than 1157mhz under WinMe without lockups? I have bumped voltage as high as 2.05 with no improvement. I was running a CeleronII 633@999mhz previously, so this gives me about a 16% increase, but I was hoping for more.

About my system... ASUS P3V4X with Iwill slocket. Corsair pc133 RAM. Voodoo5 5500 graphics (overlclocked to 183), Aureal SQ 2500 sound, Allied Tele AT-2400 PCI Ethernet, generic 56k ISA modem, GlobalWin FOP32 CPU cooling. Two case fans. Also, 32x cd-rom, HP tape backup, and the usual floppy drives.

Any help would be appreciated.

It could be the ethernet card hanging you up. Network cards are notorious about not liking to be overclocked. When you're in safe mode, the drivers are not being loaded for most things including the ethernet card, I believe.

Hi and welcome to the forums.
1) Your cpu limit is arround 1,3ghz
2)Take off all your cards...and leave only your vga
3)Start with default voltage
4)Add definetely Arctic Silver II compound (thin lay)
Your full-load temp not over 45 C after o\c
5)Begin your overclocking with small increaments of the fsb
booting into windows and testing for stability.
6)When stuck...start increasing your voltage.
7)At some time you will reach your best setting of fsb,vcore,
(always on a stable system)
8)Then start putting your cards on ( only one at a time)
and test the system for stability again.

Well,thats all.
I believe this is the most safe way to o\c and face possible
problems and what is holding you back.

I hope i helped you...mail me if there is something else you would
me to tell you....if i can.

Take care.

Thanks for the input. When I have more time, I will try the things you guys suggested. I would hate to lose the ethernet card (cable modem). Maybe I could get the modem working somehow using the USB connector. I was unsuccessful before. My system is not very "USB aware". It refused to recognize my scanner or cable modem. I did get a flash card reader and printer working, though. Thanks again.

it may be just your particular network card, buy a high quality one with an intel chip and you should be fine....

cricket said:
Nic's are really sensitive with overclocking as mentioned...
What kind of NiC you running now?

As I mentioned, Allied Telesyn AT-2400 PCI Ethernet card. Also running 300w power supply, forgot to list that.

Last edited:
Hmmmm... I tend to agree. Probably NIC. However, some of those chips running higher multipliers (11 I believe for the 1.1 Ghz) are very tempermental. That's why your 633 was able to go as high as it did. I've seen it happen, though it's much more likely that it's your NIC. Take it out and boot it up, see how fast it goes then. If it is... then (as funnyperson mentioned) go out and buy one with an Intel chip, they're less tempermental.

Well, guys, I pulled out the NIC today as a test with no improvement. While I had the case open, I also tried setting the FSB manually with the DIP switches (instead of "soft menu") , while setting the AGP to 50% (there is no AGP ratio adjustment option in the BIOS). This did not help either. I sort of suspected that it was not the NIC, since at 1157 I am only running a FSB of 105... at 1320 FSB would be 120. A lot of the PIII's run 133 at spec. I used to run at 110 FSB (1047) sometimes with the old CII 633 chip (not completely stable). I had most of the same components before except the video card. So, it could be the AGP card or the cranky 11 multiplier. Anyway, thanks guys. I guess 1157 will have to do:)

Back