• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build for my son's Daddy, ME...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I recommend going dual core... just because. Maybe an X2 4800+ like mentioned above. That way you can run games that require dual core in the future. :santa:

Just a thought...

I'd look at another board than the asus if you want sli....I had an a8n-sli deluxe for a while, and I had nothing but problems with it. Asus can't seem to get their BIOSes right lately, and if you're looking for stability, it'll be a crapshoot with it. For every problem I've heard of with Asus, I've heard 2 good things about the dfi. I'd take a careful look at it.

WOW, still lots of replies...Thank you guys, you input is most appreciated. :)

SewerBeing said:
For the motherboard I like my DFI ultra-d if you have the time to read around on www.dfi-street.com its quite good. Finally for the videocard the stock cooling will do.

Was reading around over at DFi-Street today, learned quite a few things, interesting things. Good to know stock cooling should do it for the SLI and that the case will be OK. I really, really, like this case. :)

rseven said:
Well, this rig looks great, but I forsee one very major problem, Modded Logic. When your wife sees the bill her "honey do list" will be so long you will never get to turn your computer on yet alone play a game. :D Enjoy!

Well rseven, this might not be too far from the truth if I know her right. :p Guess I will have to buy her the new expansions for SWG and EQ2 too keep her busy and her nose out of "my" bill. :p

The 4800+ sure is a tempting choice too, but as I said, I never multitask and an OC'd FX-57 should be able to run anything I want as far as games go for a long time to come.

Yes, I have read about ppl having problems with stability on the ASUS boards but that goes just as much for the DFI boards too. I guess if unlucky, it could be with any board eh. Would be nice with a rock solid ASUS, but damn cool with a high OC DFI board too. Thing is if I go with the FX-57 I am only going to OC it like 200MHz for an even 3GHz. 3.2GHz is a lil high on air for 24/7 isn't it?

Last edited:
OK, this man is cool, and I wish my own dad was as computer literate... - consumer reports is not an end all recource -

LOL, he tried making a craptastic budget rig, broke it, had me canabalize one of my rigs to fix his failure... then had me install WinME on the damn thing... I digress.

This looks awsome, go all out, enjoy it... and dont make ur son fix ur failures lol... got a good feeling about this. :clap:

I'd suggest the X2 core also. You might not think your multitasking but theres always something running in the background. Besides it will surely be a boost when it does start affecting games in the near future.

As for cooling if your going all out, slap a XP-120 on there :) Let alone cooling the CPU you'll be cooling other components on the board too which is always a good thing.

deathman20 said:
As for cooling if your going all out, slap a XP-120 on there :) Let alone cooling the CPU you'll be cooling other components on the board too which is always a good thing.

Yes, the XP-120 seems to be the way to go paired up with some nice Delta Fan for massive airflow/cooling. Also no need to make any support brackets to hold it up as I would have to do if I would go with one of the full tower ultraheavy copper heatsinks.

I'll give the 4800+ some more thought. Was seriously considering an x2 a while back when I first started to plan this new rig, but then me never multitasking, and I also read a lot about ppl having trouble with games when using them.

i gotta say more dads in this world should be like you!
i would also recommend gettin a lian li case, as those are the biggest and the best of all the cases.

i kno you said watercooling is out of the question, but may i ask why? if you think its too much of a hassle to do it urself, you could always get this:

http://www.koolance.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=28_41&products_id=190

Its an Koolance Exos 2 ( in black or silver) and it is a really good water system with the EASIEST setup. all you have to do is stick 2 tubes from a pci slot onto the waterblock and mount it. its just that simple. It offers up to 700 Watts of cooling, which means you can also get this for your dual 7800 GTX's:

http://www.koolance.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=29_46&products_id=174

that is the best 7800 GTX waterblock, as it cools both the gpu and the memory and it is designed to work in a SLi setup as well.

If you get the watercooling system setup, you can actually save money. This is because you can buy the Venice 3000+ instead of the fx 57. Two of my friends have just recently bought the chip based on my recommendation. they run theirs at 2.8ghz and 2.9 ghz respectively, with a sp-97 at 1.45v and 1.55v respectively. with water, hitting 3.0ghz shouldnt be a problem. the venice 3000+ costs 136 on newegg, the fx 57 costs 1011. the koolance setup costs 600 dollars. you're gonna end up with the same cpu performance, way better OC's on ur SLi, 300 more bucks to spend on some elite hardware, and not to mention having a very high "bling" factor:

All koolance waterblocks are 21k gold plated. :drool:

ADOPT ME PLEASE!!! :D

Not a bad looking system the Koolance one, especially the internal version. But once teamed up with a CPU and 2 GPU blocks it gets VERY expensive and I know I could if, I wanted to go watercooling, build a much better system for half the price. Also, it won't fit the in the Gigabyte Aurora case....and I really, really like that case. :drool:

I am using a Lian-Li now (specs in my first post), the PC75 with a window on the side, and I modded it with 2 120mm blowholes up top. Great case, been serving me well for 3 years but I feel it is time for something new. I will keep the Lian-Li with all the stuff I am using now (still run most games pretty good with medium settings and not too high of a res) in case a friend of my son comes over and wants to play too (someone has to show them young "whippersnappers" how to lay down some serious uber l33t fraggin :p :attn: :p ). With my wife's comp too, we can run a small LAN party here...hehehe... Also good to have in case one of the "main" rigs goes down, or needs some tender care and love (maintenance).

Well the FX-57 comes stock at 2.8ghz, plus it has 1MB of L2 Cache. Even if you clock a 3000+ to 2.8ghz-2.9ghz on watercooling, the FX-57 can probably get to 3.1ghz on air, which probably would outperform that 3000+.

http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/cpu/article.php/3261_3524426__7

But I'd say go for the X2 4800+ too. Look at that above article, the X2 4800+ can perform just as well as the 4000+, and the 4000+ shouldn't be too far away from the FX-57. Plus that was using the 70 series forceware drivers, if the 80 series comes out, heck the X2 4800+ might even outperform the FX-57 in gaming.

Back