• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to replace my X850XT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nkcd

Well, I don't have mine anymore since I'm not satisfied to how they were able to OC..(yes, I'm greedy)

So now, I'm venturing into next to see what is it to replace it in my red system? Another X850XT with better core? I don't really need a Video card right now, since I have my blue system for gamming and my Red is using onboard video for Video editing and stuff..

Phil (sentanials) suggests another X800Pro PCI-E since they can OC really well and rival those scores of my X850XT (14890 3Dmark03 and 6480 in 3Dmark05 on 540/620 clocks)

I kinda not wanting another x800pro since it's a 12 pipes though it's a great OCer. :(

Thought of GTO2, but % of getting better clocks and performance than my previous X850XT is low (though they can be Unlocked to 16 pipes) :(

what else do you guys suggest? Budget is 250-300, and I can wait till X-mas or early next year whenever :) And no, I'm not limited to ATI only. I just want a better card for the $$

1. X800Pro PCI-E?
2. X800GTO2
3. X1800XL (next year? if they're down to <300)
4. 7800GT
5. .... what else?

:)

Last edited:
Even with the mediocre clocks of your XT it will still be a tall order for anything to come close to it under the price for which you paid (ie $250). So whatever you buy as a replacement will either cost atleast $100 more or it will be slower.

There really isnt much to say past that. Why not wait for the zalman arrives before you make any lasting decision

if you want to get better, the best "value" i've seen would be the BFG 7800 GT OC, which once you oc more, it'll run w/the 7800GTX

they were on sale @ dell last week ( i think rebate is still good) for $313 shipped, but not incl tax.....

i almost jumped, but i'm gonna try my luck w/ my X800GTO2.......

so if the 7800GT and the X1800XL are to be < 300 by Xmas, which 1 should I get?

kswaid said:
did you try putting better cooling on your card and vmodding it?

I bought the Zalman VF700-CU for it. Arriving tomorrow but I wasn't happy with it to began with since mine got the worse core from the patch, more like B-stock or something, so I just got rid of it and wait for a better one. I mean, it has exceptionally well Memory clocks, but bad core, so I didn't like it. I don't need a vid card now, so couple months later or next year, I can get a better one for ~ the same price. :santa:

In term of stock, 7800GT > X1800XL. But on average OC you get per card + new drivers from X1800XL, will it outperform the 7800GT?

nkcd said:
new drivers from X1800XL, will it outperform the 7800GT?

to close to call, the ATI cards clock like mad too mad for me, but if you get a good clocking 7800, you will have a good card mine is runs at GTX speeds and the extra pipes helps make more bandwith, but also high clocks do as well :X

so, It's still debating between the 2 7800GT and X1800XL.

We need to see more benches and how much they can OC too.....

Maxi got his XL up to 661/711 stock cooling. Thats coming from 500/500 speed.

Its a close call now, but I'd have to stay they will be pretty neck and neck and possibly ATI taking the lead in the end. They do a hell of a job with new drivers for the cards. You can get this card for around 380 currently, so it might be a little while for it to be sub $300. Without rebates the 7800GT is around similar price range slightly cheaper.

Guess then its totally up to you, if you like ATI/nVidia better, and how you like there drivers/support.

Honestly, I've had both....I though of settling for the 7800GT, but then X1800XL is a bit newer on tech...so I'm 70%+ on the X1800XL side :)

Back