Folding Profile Heatware Profile

Help with Gentoo networking setup

In trying to set up Gentoo on my main computer, I've run into an error. It seems that the onboard network card (eth0) does not work, and rc-update doesn't know how to add my pci network card (eth1) to the default runlevel. When I try plugging in the cable to eth0 and then do "ping -c 3 google.com", it pauses for about 1 minute then tells me it can't find the host. When I plug in the cable to eth1, it instantly tells me that it can't find the host. Also, when checking ifconfig, it only shows information for eth0 and localhost (I have the settings in /etc/conf.d/net set for manual config btw, not dhcp). Can anyone help me with this, either by getting the onboard LAN to work or by getting eth1 to work? It's probably something really simple but... yeah, I'm moderately linux inept.
    Last edited by Soichiro; 10-24-05 at 08:02 PM.
    "Recent studies show that guys who fold for team32 get more girls." - sno.lcn

Intel i7-4770 Haswell @ 3.4 Ghz
    ASUS Z87-A
    8GB G.Skill DDR3-1333 @ 8-8-8-21
    60GB Boot SSD + 3x1TB WD 7200RPM in RAID 5
    ASUS Geforce GTX660 2GB

Folding User Stats

Do you use / have DHCP?

Say NO to ads!

Did someone just help you? Thank them.

Along with F@H, please help support some of our other teams.

I don't use DHCP, but I do have the dhcpcd package (just in case).

ASUS Z87-A
    ASUS Geforce GTX660 2GB

Folding User Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Soichiro
    In trying to set up Gentoo on my main computer, I've run into an error. It seems that the onboard network card (eth0) does not work, and rc-update doesn't know how to add my pci network card (eth1) to the default runlevel. When I try plugging in the cable to eth0 and then do "ping -c 3 google.com", it pauses for about 1 minute then tells me it can't find the host. When I plug in the cable to eth1, it instantly tells me that it can't find the host. Also, when checking ifconfig, it only shows information for eth0 and localhost (I have the settings in /etc/conf.d/net set for manual config btw, not dhcp). Can anyone help me with this, either by getting the onboard LAN to work or by getting eth1 to work? It's probably something really simple but... yeah, I'm moderately linux inept.
    You need to coy the net.eth0 script over to net.eth1 to be aable to add it to a runlevel. It also sounds like you don't have the correct driver for eeth1. If you compiled it as a module, you need to modprobe it. If you didn't compile it, you should do so (either built-in or as a module). What PCI NIC do you have?
    Lost access to the classifieds? Look here.
    Forum Policies
    Sig Rules

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."
    -Sir Winston Churchill

The adapter is a D-link something or other. Not sure of the model. But I'll go through the kernel config junk and make sure I compiled it, and if it's not compiled then I'll recompile the kernel with the eth support in there.

ASUS Z87-A
    ASUS Geforce GTX660 2GB

Folding User Stats

Do you know what driver you need? What about the chipset of the NIC?
    Lost access to the classifieds? Look here.
    Forum Policies
    Sig Rules

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."
    -Sir Winston Churchill

After recompiling the kernel with the drivers built-in (they were installed as modules before), the eth1 adapter works. I wasn't exactly sure which driver to choose, so I just selected all the ones that looked like they might work, and apparantly one of them did work. Thanks for the help.

ASUS Z87-A
    ASUS Geforce GTX660 2GB

Folding User Stats