• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with Gentoo networking setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Soichiro

In trying to set up Gentoo on my main computer, I've run into an error. It seems that the onboard network card (eth0) does not work, and rc-update doesn't know how to add my pci network card (eth1) to the default runlevel. When I try plugging in the cable to eth0 and then do "ping -c 3 google.com", it pauses for about 1 minute then tells me it can't find the host. When I plug in the cable to eth1, it instantly tells me that it can't find the host. Also, when checking ifconfig, it only shows information for eth0 and localhost (I have the settings in /etc/conf.d/net set for manual config btw, not dhcp). Can anyone help me with this, either by getting the onboard LAN to work or by getting eth1 to work? It's probably something really simple but... yeah, I'm moderately linux inept.

Last edited:
Soichiro said:
In trying to set up Gentoo on my main computer, I've run into an error. It seems that the onboard network card (eth0) does not work, and rc-update doesn't know how to add my pci network card (eth1) to the default runlevel. When I try plugging in the cable to eth0 and then do "ping -c 3 google.com", it pauses for about 1 minute then tells me it can't find the host. When I plug in the cable to eth1, it instantly tells me that it can't find the host. Also, when checking ifconfig, it only shows information for eth0 and localhost (I have the settings in /etc/conf.d/net set for manual config btw, not dhcp). Can anyone help me with this, either by getting the onboard LAN to work or by getting eth1 to work? It's probably something really simple but... yeah, I'm moderately linux inept.
You need to coy the net.eth0 script over to net.eth1 to be aable to add it to a runlevel. It also sounds like you don't have the correct driver for eeth1. If you compiled it as a module, you need to modprobe it. If you didn't compile it, you should do so (either built-in or as a module). What PCI NIC do you have?

The adapter is a D-link something or other. Not sure of the model. But I'll go through the kernel config junk and make sure I compiled it, and if it's not compiled then I'll recompile the kernel with the eth support in there.

After recompiling the kernel with the drivers built-in (they were installed as modules before), the eth1 adapter works. I wasn't exactly sure which driver to choose, so I just selected all the ones that looked like they might work, and apparantly one of them did work. :p Thanks for the help. :D

Back