• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pny Dc?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shelnutt2

Overclockers Team Content Editor
I have a couple questions.

1) Is this Pny DC?
2) With DC can I mix brandes? Right now I have 1 stick of Kingstone Value Ram (1/2 a DC kit) would it work with this PNY to be DC? Along those same lines in my PC-DL I have 2 Kingstoen Stick, could I add 2 of these to get 2 gigs of ram, but also DC?

Thanks.

no, it is a single stick, so it is not considered a "dual channel" setup.

You can mix memory brands/speeds and still get DC operation but there is also the slight possibility that it won't work.

Yes, your board supports DC with 4 modules.

As for probability of it working, I don't think anyone here will be able to give you a definitive answer. Mixing and matching ram and getting stable operation in single channel mode can be a task in itself, and dual channel is not any easier.

What I can share with you is my experiences, and I have taken both cheap and high end ram, mixed them together on several different setups, and gotten most of them to run in DC.

it's recommended to not mix for best performance. as stated you can probably get it to work but maybe not at the rated timings as the two might not play well together.

OK thanks. What I didn't know was if ram had to be DC compaitble or somethign special besides jsut 2 sticks to make it work in DC mode. I think I m going to buy a couple fo thsoe PNY sticks, after all you can't beat the price (after rebates).

toddm27 said:
no but it probably won't overclock very good

I'm not to worried about it over clocking much. the one machine has a 2.4B in it which is/will run at stock while my other one only has C1 steping xeons so I'm almost at my max OC anyway.

Back