• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should i wait?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ventis

I've been thinking and thinking on getting one of those Dell 9300 Laptops and pin-mod it to 2.26, but there is a question that I've been thinking about. "Will there be a different Dell Laptop right after Christmas with a better VGA?" and "Will there be a different laptop at all?"

I want to be able to do that pin-mod but i wanta know if there will be new findings on different CPUs to pin-mod, hence a new laptop. I can't buy a XPS I'm not that rich and i want a nice gaming laptop.

My experience with Dells isn't the greatest so I'm a litle scaried of geting another one but i would think they changed by now....right?

dell is supposidly releasing a "nexus" line at the end of this year or beginning of next year which may or may not support new YONAH chips... i am unsure about this...

the new yonah chips are supposidly going to run at 666fsb so we might have to reinvent the pinmod since the chipset or the socket isn't going to be compatable.

the only thing I have heard about this new lexus linup of laptops is dells goal of supposidly combining the power of an xps2 laptop into a 12" laptop for bolth ultra power and mobility... dell has allready released an xps 170 (which is 99% an xps2 that they just changed the name and charged an extra 300 bucks for) and there is a xps 140 on it's way out soon and there are rumors of an xps 190 (19") next year.

depending on how much money you have to spend should decide what you should do... If you only have a bit of money then get the 9300 now... or if you have a bunch of money >$2000 then you can wait till the new laptops come out and see what features it has...

though i thin ka 17" on a 9300 is a tad big I really want one :p
I want play stuff at college and i know ppl say never buy a laptop beter then your Desktop. I'm not but i'm geting there.

The introduction of their newer laptops might produce a drop in prices of their other models as well (but i doubt it)

When the i9300 and xps2 came out to relace the 9200/9100 xps 1 dell just stoped selling those laptops alltogether...

ozzlo said:
When the i9300 and xps2 came out to relace the 9200/9100 xps 1 dell just stoped selling those laptops alltogether...
well in that case, it would drop the resell value of those laptops so u maybe able to snag one used or off ebay at a decent discount

How long you can wait? That is up to only you, you know your particular needs best.

Yonah is projected to come out at the end of this year/beginning next year. A couple of months isn't that long, so if you don't absolutely need it now I'd wait. Merom (or whatever the next gen after Yonah is) is supposedly drop-in compatible with Yonah, so waiting for a Yonah platform might give you some extra longevity, too.

remember that most dell Laptops are configured as needed unless you buy a special one so Dell doesn't have to carry the inventory which means that they don't drop prices on older models, what they do is keep thier existing inventory around for replacement parts <shrug> that is the way a company should be managing inventory so that they don't have to mark down pricing to liquidate.

Back