• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you think? Are my laptop modding days over?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ozzlo

Senior whose title will pier
Some of you may or may not have been following all my modding adventures but I finally have a failed mod (caused by my own stupidity) that has blown out my subwoofer amplifier on my motherboard... now I don't have a working subwoofer in my laptop (crying shame ain't it?)... the objective was to splice into the subwoofer wires and use it as a signialing device to make my led's pulse to the music. but instead I managed to wire my microrelay inverted backwards and all confuzzled (thanks to me misreading the greek description of the pins).

I want a working subwoofer for myself and for resale value sake later on down the road...

my question is...

should I stop and just be greatful that I diden't fry the whole laptop and see if anybody would want just a cheap motherboard and salvage like 75 bucks outta the thing and buy a replacement on ebay? If I get a new board I will probbably not do any other mods to it...

or

should I use my semi electronic skills to try and build my own subwoofer amplifier (splicing it into bolth the usb power (sharing power with the led's) and the speaker cable (the speakers still work just not the subwoofer)?

I have a hard time giving up... so if you think i need to stop this nonsense then please speak your mind...

If it's worth $75 to you to gamble and hopefully fix it, then go for it. If you don't think you can fix it and the $75 is worth saving, then try to sell it and cut your losses. Of course, in the end, it's up to you.

Hey Oz on the upside if you do fry it talk to me about that 6800 you got in that puppy maybe we can work somthing out. :)

My knowledge of laptops is limited, but I don't think you can install a GPU from one laptop to another.

I just had a break thru discovery after resetting the cmos the subwoofer suddenly works!!! but that was after removing splice from the subwoofer... so wow no real damage really happened just a bunch of stuff that made it seem it was messed up... I'm curious about putting the circuit back in and cranking the sub up a bunch... maybe it just needs more signal from the subwoofer before it will activate the led's...

if i have learned anything from this little feiasco is that the circutry on the motherboard is much more durable than I had previously preceived...

re: ozzlo
I was just going to ask that before you throw it in the bin ;-) if you could check which PLL clock-generator it use? http://www.cpufsb.de/FSB.HTM
I'm glad you could recover it, so you could have a new try to destroy it ;-)

I looked up the pll a long time ago... like when I first got the laptop and it showed up in the list of PLL chips that won't work with cpufsb because it is a read only pll or something like that... you can't write any information to it... I haven't seen a mobile 915 chipset from dell yet that can oc the FSB... BUT... you can still do the pin mod quite easily... I am suddenly way far behind in school so my next scheduled descruction date is just after thanksgiving...

WOO HOOOOOO 1000 POSTS YEEE HA...

Subwoofer in a laptop?
I have never owned one but do they really have them or is that one of your mods???! :eh?:

I'm glad you got you sub going ozzlo.

I could never buy a laptop in the future without a subwoofer built in. Sound volume and quality is phenomenal.

hagrid said:
Subwoofer in a laptop?
I have never owned one but do they really have them or is that one of your mods???! :eh?:

Yes, some DTR class notebook have subwoofer built-in. A short list:
Inspiron 9300/XPS2
Fujitsu M3384/4384
Sager 4750
Sager 5720

But it is tiny, better than none. It can't shake your room's window.

Scott9027 said:
My knowledge of laptops is limited, but I don't think you can install a GPU from one laptop to another.

you can especially with the dells. its all modular.

dont stop your mods man, keep it up! gives people like me hope since were too scared to do the mods ourselves.

Back