• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with new rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Great info guys, thanks.

I think im going for new ddr2 as well.
I will sell my whole computer I think and buy a complete new one.
Thou Im not sure to go with cpu 6xx or 8xx Has both 64bit support ? And both HT ?
OCZ 667 or corsair 667 mems then ?

Thanks

If you are doing alot of rendering in Maya than I would go with 8xx CPU. Default maya renderer or Mental ray can make very good use of extra core.
But keep in mind that aside from rendering maya can't use the extra core, because modeller is not multithreaded.
And I would suggest get as much RAM as you can (to avoid swapping on HDD), coz maya is extremly memory hungry. (I have modeled few things and memory usage can jump beyond 1-1.5Gb in no time).

The 8xx PD's don't have HT support. HT support will not come until Pressler or Conroe...forgot which.

It really depends on what you're going to do the most. If gaming is more of a concern then the 6xx would be the better choice.

If multi-threaded apps will be used more the 8xx CPu's will be the better choice.

That is right now though...right this very minute. When Pressler and Conroe comes out it will change the game again. Those CPU's are so powerful for both types of apps it will not matter.

Saying all that, if you went with a 6xx or a 8xx either one you will not be disapointed even if you went with the 8xx for gaming and the 6xx for multi-threaded it's really not gonna matter all that much. Both are strong performers. On Video Encoding, I would definitely go with the 8xx though as it gives a fairly substantial gains in that department.

The 6xx will be the better OC'er and the better gamer and bencher, but the 8xx will do the heavy multi-media a little better.

When the 975x boards come out, and the Presslers hit the market, some heads are gonna roll again! LOL Then Conroe will come out and we will reach yet another plateau of uber l33tn3ss! :)

On the RAM, PQI, Mushkin, Corsair and OCZ are doing very well. There is a new one out every week it seems like. Go with what is performing the best. Follow RAM very closely in the RAM forum. Study it carefully. You've already OC'd so you know how important it is. The P5WD boards like speciffic RAM and timings. Check people's sigs too. You can tell by their OC and the timings they are running what is working well. :)

When the 975x boards come out, and the Presslers hit the market, some heads are gonna roll again! LOL Then Conroe will come out and we will reach yet another plateau of uber l33tn3ss! :)

When will the 975x boards be available ? And whats the diff with Pressler and Conroe ? Any release info on these things ?

Cause My rig still works pretty good. Thou I want to be able to use my 1920x1200 native res when I get that monitor. I guess I need alil more juice then..

Thou I got a northy 3.2, X800XT PE, Corsairs fastest XMS 3200 XL 2-2-2-5
Thou I was very unlucky with this northy as hit dont run stable at even 3.4 :(

Thanks!

975x acailable by January. it could be a little earlier, or it could be a little later. When you get this close to a release date it's hard to tell, but my bet is January is a pretty good bet. Usually when Intel talks about release dates, they stick to them. if there is any delay it will be because of the motherboard makers. Last I read Asus was due out with one in January, but I can't find the article now. I belive it was on Anandtech or Xbit...I'm not 100% positive though. I thought i saved it.

Here's some good reading that will answer most of your questions...
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2578
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2529

On your OC on your 3.2 Northy, it should do more than that. What board do you have it on? PSU? Have you tried other timings? Have you tried a divider to take the RAM out of thr equation? Tested RAM using MemTest? Those are good cool running CPU's. It should do better than that even if you got a bum one it should do 3.7 easy.

You have good RAM, but it may not run that tight when OC'd. It also may need a divider to 5:4 and the voltage to it bumped up.

It's also possaible it could be a BIOS issue. It may need the BIOS updated if you haven't done that, or it could even need the chipset drivers updated.

AdvanS13 said:
the only dc that will have ht is the extreme edition...like the smithfields had.

Thx! :) I knew it was one of them. hehe I'm praying hard we'll see that HT enabled Conroe with a 8MB cache. If they don't market it, do me a favor and have them make me one up Advan. I need that. I can do some special things with that. :)

3DFlyer said:
On your OC on your 3.2 Northy, it should do more than that. What board do you have it on? PSU? Have you tried other timings? Have you tried a divider to take the RAM out of thr equation? Tested RAM using MemTest? Those are good cool running CPU's. It should do better than that even if you got a bum one it should do 3.7 easy.

You have good RAM, but it may not run that tight when OC'd. It also may need a divider to 5:4 and the voltage to it bumped up.

It's also possaible it could be a BIOS issue. It may need the BIOS updated if you haven't done that, or it could even need the chipset drivers updated.

Ive tried everything and my last thing was to try my friends prescott 3.2 and those worked great. So its not my memory nor PSU. I used the latest Bios version. So I guess its a real bad cpu that I got. Cause my friends could oc to 3.8 without any problems.. At 3.7 my cpu woulnt even load windows..

Mobo Asus P4800-E Delux soemthing like that now I forgot the exat model. But it was Asus best mobo and most expensive when I bought the rig. And all ocers bought this mobo. I guess different bios version woult handle the oc different on a pressy or northy ?

I tried to loosen mems increased V. Checked my rails. Rock solid.
And as I said finaly tried another cpu that worked fine.

g0dM@n said:
Making it 4 logical cpus?

Yep, the PDEE has 2 cores with HT enabled giving it 4 logical CPU's.

The thing is such a rocketship that a guy that has one hasn't even OC'd it yet. He says he doesn't need to. He says it's too fast the way it is.

SOmebody told him "that was like being married to Jessica Alba and not ____'ing her." LOL

Wow... wow... WOW! Awesome analogy!

When are these out? I WANT ONE!!

< Slaps XB >
Stop it, young man! Stop starting fights! Now go upstairs to your room!! :argue:

g0dM@n said:
Wow... wow... WOW! Awesome analogy!

When are these out? I WANT ONE!!

They have ben out for awhile.

Go here...they support everything. They won't support your pocket though, because your pocket will be empty, and your adrenal gland will be too from all the rushes you get from the rocket speed of it! LOL

This thing is fast! Very fast! Be very careful with it. These are special. :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116214

3DFlyer said:
They have ben out for awhile.

Go here...they support everything. They won't support your pocket though, because your pocket will be empty, and your adrenal gland will be too from all the rushes you get from the rocket speed of it! LOL

This thing is fast! Very fast! Be very careful with it. These are special. :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116214
The 3rd review down is HILARIOUS:

Eskimo, 10/10/2005 9:46:12 PM
Hot Stuff

This has got to be the hottest-running processor out there! This is a great space heater for any bedroom, office, or living area. Run this on any assembled PC during winter and you are guaranteed an 8... More »
This has got to be the hottest-running processor out there! This is a great space heater for any bedroom, office, or living area. Run this on any assembled PC during winter and you are guaranteed an 80F+ room temperature. Great for creating warm environments!

g0dM@n said:
The 3rd review down is HILARIOUS:

Eskimo, 10/10/2005 9:46:12 PM
Hot Stuff

This has got to be the hottest-running processor out there! This is a great space heater for any bedroom, office, or living area. Run this on any assembled PC during winter and you are guaranteed an 8... More »
This has got to be the hottest-running processor out there! This is a great space heater for any bedroom, office, or living area. Run this on any assembled PC during winter and you are guaranteed an 80F+ room temperature. Great for creating warm environments!

Put some cooling on it. They're probably running the box stock cooler...big mistake. They do get warm, but not like my Prescott 3.2 does.

Back