• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Replace a Clawhammer with a Turion...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IR1

Anyone tried replacing their laptops Clawhammer with the low wattage Turions? I am curious if this would help the battery life and if most laptops have the ability in the bios to accept the Turion.

I have a eMachines m6805 which has a Athlon 64 3000+ 1mb cache. I believe they are 60+ watts.... putting in a 35 watt 3400+ turion would be nice... but not cheap... wouldnt do it unless it helped battery life.

It wouldn't help unless the motherboard was able to identify the new cpu.

Otherwise the MB will still continue to feed the default votage of the clawhammer to the new cpu

Yeah I agree which is why I said "if" the bios can accept, I would think most motherboards should be able too. But if they could it would be a worthwhile upgrade to get another 30-hour of battery life plus faster cpu when plugged in.

Did some searching around

Hi,

I asked to many Arima's manufacturer laptop (same as emachine M68XX) if their notebooks are compatible with the Turion processor.

See their reponse below :

*************** QDI *****
Hi,

The W-730 is compatible with the AMD Turion Processor (35W) however,
you
will not get any extra battery life from using it.

Regards,

QDI Support.

*************** TARGA *****

Dear Mr. XXXX,

thank you for your inquiry to the technical support.

It is very unlikely that the new AMD Turion is compatible to this
Notebook.
However, we had no opportunity to test this, so we cannot be sure of
this at
the moment.

If you have any further questions, please use the web form on our
www.service.targa.co.uk/supportform.php whilst using your correct
serial
number.
You can also find answers to frequently asked questions on
www.service.targa.co.uk and useful tips for the usage of your device as
well.

Have a nice day.

Yours sincerely,

Stephan Heisse

*************** EMachine *****

Dear XXX :

Thank you for contacting eMachines.

I see that you are inquiring if your M6811 eMachines notebook is
compatible with an “AMD Turion processor”.

I understand how this type of issue could have caused you some
concerns. However, concerning notebook device upgrades, only the RAM or memory
stick is the upgradeable part in your system.

The processor is usually part of the motherboard, so we cannot change
or upgrade the device itself.

I understand this can be rather frustrating and I hope this brief reply
has provided you the information to deal with your concern in the best
possible way.

Should you require further assistance with your eMachines system,
please feel free to send another message. Your comments and suggestions are
welcome.

Sincerely,
Bernard

I've contact Targa again (my laptop manufacturer) for further explanations.
Wait and see...

From
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=51&threadid=1228136&STARTPAGE=62&enterthread=y

Part of the motherboard? does emachines sader the chip to the motherboard?

also are there any volts mods you could do to feed elss folate since its a turion and hence get more batterylife?

For one I have seen the post from anandtech it was also on notebookforums.com however the answers from the companys are spotty and obviously are from people who dont have a clue for the most part. Like the one about memory being the only part you can replace.

eMachines does not make this Laptop. There are only about 4-5 companies that actually make Laptops. One is Arima. Arima supplies the same Laptops to eMachines, VoodooPC, Gateway, Targa, and a couple others. These companies just put their brand name on the Laptop and support it with a warranty.

The chips are not soldered on, they don't do that anymore. I know it can be replaced I have seen a step by step mod with pics on how to do it. I was hoping someone here had tried something similar.

There is a program that works for many laptops, mine being one, that allows you to adjust voltage, HTT, and multiplyer. I have tweaked a little with the voltage, but the computer didnt like it. I tried lowering it while it was on battery and it froze shortly after. If the motherboard didnt recognize it then it wouldnt work im sure if it did it would supply the appropriate voltage.

Back