• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AGP: X800GTO/2 16pipes VS X800XT PE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Starfoxer

World's Biggest E-Thug
Does anyone know which card will perform better?

A X800GTO or a X800GT02 modded to have all 16 pipes open or a stock X800XT Platinum Edition.

The X800XT PE should be here today, but I could possibly sale it for more than it would cost me to pay for one of the X800GT0's.

Clock for clock the X800XT PE will perform a little better, past that it's all in the cards as to which card will clock better. In general though, I'd put my money on the PE. The GTO2's are very nice, but also appear to be fickle. If you already have a Platinum Edition card, it's risky to part with it.

Since the x800gto2 uses the x850xt core, what makes you think the x800xt will perform better clock for clock ? Seems backwards to me...

J.

There X800's have tighter memory timings, and some other intrinsic memory parameters that make them perform better clock for clock. Once you start tweaking memory timings, you can get the 850's to come very close to the 800's but still slightly behind. ATi released the 850's as having higher clocks at stock than the 800's to compensate.

Let's also not forget that the X850GTO2 is a midrange card; the XT PE is a high-end. The average overclocks for the X800XT PE's are very consistent. On the other hand, I've seen plenty of X850GTO2's not even match its stock speeds. Of course the X850GTO2 is a wonderful card, but there isn't any reason to take it over an XT PE.

Stick with the PE. I have both cards and I'd say they perform so similar that you could hardly tell the difference. The main thing is getting a GTO2 with a good enough core to reach 540/590.

Back