• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: OverKiLL by BlueBall

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlueBall

Project: OverKiLL

by: Blueball

This is going to be my biggest project to date. I won $100US for submitting my Project: OverMOD to Overclockers.com
You can find my complete Project: OverMOD log HERE

My goal for this project is:
- To submerge a high-end gaming rig into a clear acrylic case filled with a cooling medium (discussions of cooling mediums found HERE)
- To make a virtually silent cooling system
- To add visual flair ... including lasers, LEDs and UV
- To use custom made cooling blocks and techniques to achieve an optimized dual cooling solution.
- To apply a vacuum of the enclosure to ensure a moisture and contaminent free enviroment

Project Hardware includes:
- 2X 6800GT PCI-E SLI
- ASUS SLI-Premium Motherboard
- AMD64X2 3800 Dual Core CPU

I still need alot of hardware to complete the project, but I think this is an excellent time to start my log. I will post a ton of pics as I go.

I expect this project may take a month or more (especially because I go away on vacation soon) so subscribe to this thread now to stay up-to-date.

Sponsors welcome.

This is a Project Log ... please refrain from unproductive posts ... pics will be available shortly.

If you want pics ... check out my last Project.

BlueBall said:
This is a Project Log ... please refrain from unproductive posts ... pics will be available shortly.

If you want pics ... check out my last Project.

sorry i just thought you would like to know people are interested to see what you are doing thats all :)

subscibred :cool:

Sweet, I really liked your last mod project, I'm definately gonna keep an eye on this thread! Can't wait to see the progress!

Cool idea, but I'd like to warn you.
Submersion cooling is nothing easy for high-power chips. You'll have to think about moving fluid around case to chill components and to somehow chill that liquid.

Usually people use normal air heatsinks for submersion cooling. Be prepared for worse performance than on water. You could play with water + submersion tho... Eventually, you may consider using Scyther Ninja heatsink, along with some high-pressure fans (or maybe blowers for more pressure). This sink has pretty low restriction, so might be good for submersion.

// this post may be deleted after issue is resolved, to keep this thread clean //

I'm going to start by benchmarking and recording temps using stock cooling so I can compare the before and after results.

Here is the working hardware ... completely stock.

Attachments

• Beginning 009 (Small).jpg
    Beginning 009 (Small).jpg
    79 KB · Views: 301
hafa said:
I certainly hope that you intend to spend some time on your wire routing. ;)

That case is only a test case. I am making the new case from acrylic sheet. I needed to test the hardware and benchmark it so that I have something to compare it too later.

I have ordered some yellow UV acrylic sheet. Using blue LEDs makes the yellow UV glow super bright.

Pf.Farnsworth said:
What monitor is that? Its nice :)

It is an ACER 32" LCD with DVI-D ... model number AT3201W ... retail around $1500CDN

I was thinking of adding 2 more 19" LCDs ... one on each side of the desk. It might be OverKiLL tho ... hehehe

I am very pleased with this LCD. The picture is amazing. Doom and HL2 look SICK! I only wish it had a higher resolution. (1366x768)

However, I am not happy with the CATV performance. Poor image. I am getting a HD reciever soon ... that should clear it up. I think it is stretching 320 pixels to 1366 in 16:9 ... that would explain the poor image.

Back