• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to do

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hainer36

alright, so ive decided that since i have the board i should make a LGA775 set-up

the board i have is a Asus P5P800 (865PE....AGP, DDR :D) which means i dont have to do a complete upgrade, only need a new CPU and boom

so my decision now is, what to get, im thinking of maybe getting a 630 and use that as my main rig and get a crappy agp vid card for the rig in my sig, (put em both in the same case :D, its too big not too)

or should i got for say a 506

i dont game...pretty much at all, all i use the computers for would be surfing the net, MSN, and encoding stuff...

either way i would put my A-Data Vitesta in the New rig, and pick up some generic crap for the one in sig, put the 9800Pro in the new one and pick up a KVM switch so i dont have a cluttered desktop

Well what kind of FSB do you think that ram will do if you want 4ghz with your 630 you need 270FSB. However I would recomend waiting until January becuase Intel is going to release the 65nm 631 for about the same price as the 630 now and it should use less power and overclock further.

i dont know if a 865PE lga board will support the 65nm's

and the ram i have can do 280 and with more volts its done 310

^^^

What he said.

But beware, that while the P5P800 meets a higher powered FMB spec than the S478 mobos, it will not have the yet higher power capability of an innately dual-core capable mobo, like the P5WD2. IOW, it's CPU pwr capability is better than an S478 mobo, but not as strong as the best LGA775 mobos meeting Intel's 04c/04d specs (P5P800 meets 04b).

So a stout Vcore to get a high OC will definitely cause a fair amount of droop.

If you're struggling to get to 4.0G or above, you may consider a Vcore Voltmod (click on image to enlarge).

I don't use a pot, but simply solder a 2% tolerance 1/8W 27K fixed metal-film resistor across the two solder points shown in the link. If you can find a tight tolerance 28K resistor, then go with that, since 28K is the theoretically correct resistance value.

BTW - I used the term "innately dual-core capable mobo", 'cuz the i865 chipset supposedly will support a dual-core Intel 8xx CPU. I haven't tried this myself, but some guys on the Asustek forums apparently hacked the P5P800 BIOS to include microcode supporing Intel 8xx procs. Since the power circuitry on a P5P800 can barely handle a highly OC'd/Overvolted 640, I'd suspect it would really struggle w/an OC'd 8xx. Might be able to handle a stock clocked 8xx, tho.

Anyway, just wanted you to have the Voltmod link, if you want to get the most stability & best clock out of ur new 6xx/P5P800 combo.

GL,

Strat

speed bump said:
Well what kind of FSB do you think that ram will do if you want 4ghz with your 630 you need 270FSB. However I would recomend waiting until January becuase Intel is going to release the 65nm 631 for about the same price as the 630 now and it should use less power and overclock further.
Yes, I agree that appears, on-the-surface, to be a very good recommendation. However, a January release (if done on time - that's a big 'if'), means availability in the retail market, maybe two months, (or even longer), afterwards.

But more importantly, as the OP pointed out, we don't know if the current i865 LGA775 mobo's will support the 6x1's. It would seem they 'should', but Intel has a pretty shakey record regarding these issues.

Strat

i wont be doin the vdroop mods or any of the other mods to the board (if there is any others, as im not that good with a soldering iron) but i was just curious on this

i got the board now, and on the box it says "CPU Lock Free" as a feature, does that mean that if i get a 630, i can use a 18x mulit and not the 14x on it? meaning easier 4ghz :D

On the P5P800 ur two multi options will be 15X (native 630/3.0) & 14X (6xx series minimum default). The lowest multi you can get on the P5P800 using 6xx procs is 14X. This is for all 6xx procs, irregardless of default/rated clockspeed. The highest multi is the native multi for the speed of the proc you have: i.e. 630/3.0 = 15X, 640/3.2 = 16X, etc. You only get two multi settings: 14X and the chips native multi. There is no provision to select a higher multi than native, so 18X would require a 3.6G CPU (660 for the 6xx series)

You can find these setting under the "advanced tab" in the BIOS, then selecting "CPU Configurations". The "minimum" setting will select ur 14X multi, and the "maximum" setting will select ur 15X multi, using ur 630 as an example.

Don't forget to flash to the latest BIOS (1011). It has a few more BIOS options, and has somewhat less Vcore droop than the earlier BIOS' (or at least least than 1008, which was my prior BIOS rev before 1011).

HTH,

Strat

Back