• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

900/850 shows up as 700

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

d94

$30 a phone
im trying to find out the max upgrade for one of my laptops..it came w/a 450mhz p3
i have infront of me, a 900 850 700 and 650 chip
iv tried both the 900 and 850 chips and they show up as 700 on the laptop (7x100)

im guessing its a bios limitation?
and if so can anyone find an updated bios for the HP XE2 laptop please :)
i googled w/no luck..
these mobile chips are all 100fsb?
and the other thing is cpuz doesnt show them as mobiles! - it says pentium III E

First of all, CPU-Z is not always perfect. I seem to have problems with CPU-Z and older Dimension systems all the time.

Secondly, you could be mobo limited, unless it's actually bios limited.

Remember that PIII 800mhz I sent you for free that you claimed was dead? Well, that thing worked in a pIII system at my job when I tested it. I replaced the pIII 550 that was in the machine (100x5.5) and stuck in the 800. It booted up as 100x6, and couldn't do its rated speed. I guess 6x was the highest multi possible.

In your case, maybe 7x is the highest multi available... dunno any more than that. Goodluck, buddy.

You know something funny, both of you have recently gotten CPUs from me. Strange!

D94, I think you are correct, that the board is locked, or the BIOS is. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with anything but IBM Thinkpads. (They will run all of the CPUs, of that socket design.)

steve

Back