• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

x1800 XL vs XT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OkydOky

Other then the 512 MB, and slightly faster clock speeds.
Is there any Difference between the XL and XT.
And since tehy are both 256-bit, the extra 256 MB, will it improve peformace that much? I also should be able to OC the XL over XT Speeds.. correct?

OkydOky said:
And since tehy are both 256-bit, the extra 256 MB, will it improve peformace that much? I also should be able to OC the XL over XT Speeds.. correct?
with the new memory controller there will probably be quite a difference. Other than RAM size and clock speed, spec wise the XL and XT are the same, the XL does use slower RAM, so clocking the core to or over XT levels might be possible, but RAM might present a challenge.

OkydOky said:

Yes, your XL should go to xt speeds. The main difference is the ram modules used.

XL==1.4ns samsung ICs
XT==1.2ns samsung ICs

The ram on the XT is actually capable of running at 512bit, although it WILL NOT transfer at such a wide bus, it does allow for a much higher clock rate to fill the missing bus width. The XL memory is in no way "slow" but the XT definitely has an advantage

ShadowClock59 said:
The ram on the XT is actually capable of running at 512bit, although it WILL NOT transfer at such a wide bus, it does allow for a much higher clock rate to fill the missing bus width. The XL memory is in no way "slow" but the XT definitely has an advantage

Link? I think you might have some of your information confused.

ShadowClock59 said:
Yes, your XL should go to xt speeds.

Ram speed perhaps, core speeds no. The current XLs use the older R520 so they're unable to run at the speed of the "fixed" XT R520s. There was a problem with the first chips which limited them to 500MHz at most under normal conditions. Thats why it was delayed for months. The fixed XT chip can overclock to 1GHz given the right cooling.

The XL and XT have the same bus, which is 512bit (the Ring as its known as), but the ram thats in use is only 256bit. Thats how I understood it in posts and such.

Well, Ironically I got my info off of the inquirer, and I read it about a month ago, so you can imagine how hard it may be for me to find it (as much ATI stuff they put up on there site). But I will find it, and I probably was thinking of the ringbus like deathman said. Sorry for the confusion.

edit: Found the Link yuriman. http://theinquirer.net/?article=26168

think its the 3rd paragraph

I can recall what was said on the INQ & it was that the chip *can* use 512bit memory but ATI ships it with 256bit memory. The chip's memory controller was designed to be used in future models just like the memory controller in the R300 was used in the RV350/360, R350/360, & the Xx00 series. Thats why the X1800's memory controller can use 512bit memory & GDDR4 memory.

Moto7451 said:
Ram speed perhaps, core speeds no. The current XLs use the older R520 so they're unable to run at the speed of the "fixed" XT R520s. There was a problem with the first chips which limited them to 500MHz at most under normal conditions. Thats why it was delayed for months. The fixed XT chip can overclock to 1GHz given the right cooling.

What are you talking about, I haven't seen an XL that can't run default XT core and memory speeds. I know mine does with no problems, and I know deathmans does.

To clear things up a bit, "given the right cooling" is Liquid Nitrogen, which to break 1ghz core, and the people who did it are the TOP ocers in the world.

Moto7451 said:

I'd have to call that a joke hehe. I'm running 641.25/801 with 1.25V/1.95V. Now thats less then XT voltage for slower settings and probley core and definatlly faster memory.

The XLs also have some kind of cold bug programed into the drivers are limited in the voltage that they can give to the core compared to the XT and have the two most important castrations that make the XT fast lack of 512mb of ram and 1.4ns ram.

Back