• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new chip to torture

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
FYI...the highest single card nVidia score (not even counting 7800's) is higher than the highest ATi one in 3DMark03.

unfortuantly the dry ice place was unexpectedly closed yesterday, and of course isn't open on weekends :(

the chip seems to be doing some weird stuff though. i can't cold boot at 4.2ghz 1.45v. i usually have to change it to 14x266 and change it in windows. if i reboot after being in windows it's fine though. thinking of sending this chip back.

{PMS}fishy said:
For anyone looking, it doesn't matter where the chip is boxed. I found out that all the CPUs are made in the USA, then shipped to Malay, Phillip, China for boxing.

There is no difference in the CPUs.
With all due respect - Right idea, but wrong implimentation.

The dies are "fabbed" here in the States (or also Ireland, IIRC), in various FAB plants, then they are shipped to various countries around the world for "packaging", not "boxing"!

Packaged, in the electronic component sense, i.e. S478 package, LGA775 package, etc., not in a consumer sense (put in a box, plastic display container, etc.)

The same way in electronics one refers to a DIP (dual-inline-pin) "package", etc.

In essence, the die being "packaged", in electronics terms, in a foreign country, is one of the final steps in the manufacturing process.

In addition, different FABs supply dies to different countries for final packaging. If anything, the FAB "feeding" the final packaging facility in the country-of-origin may perhaps have more to do with the OCability of the chip than the final packaging itself!

When the final product is put in a box, it is then issued a "pack" date, which is totally different from the electronic packaging (final manufacturing assy) date.

And, just as all FABs attempt to produce an identical product, but due to process control variances never will, the country of origin final manufacturing process will never be exactly identical, either.

Here's a somewhat dated link (when Intel had fewer FABs and manufacturing/packaging plants) to an Intel Engineer trying to assure the public that all dies are created equal, all FAB sites are equal, and all packaging facilities are, too!:

Linky

Pure PR, IMHO.

And we see the differences every day with the variances from chip to chip, here in these forums, and everywhere else around the net.

Intel may strive for the same final end result from all its various facilities, and indeed, nearly virtually all the CPUs that make it out-the-door may meet the minimum Intel specs for the specific chip in question, but as OCers we are looking for the superlative chips that will exceed specs.

Strat

Back