• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So i was in DFI's new irc support and ....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
soundx98 said:
begin rant
I read this thread three times trying to separate the emotional from the factual. Motherboards and OverClocking ARE very emotional subjects for most of us. So I just had to through in my 2 cents.

I recognize many of the names in this thread. Don't know your faces, but I do know your personalities and have a great deal of respect for most of the posters here. And I mean that sincerely.

Some thoughts on the thread:
I've never been on any IRC channel so I can't comment on it.
I was told the DFI channel was closed 3 days ago due to a security breach.
I was told in various forums in February that the 4V option was extremely dangerous. (And if it was used to insure there was active cooling on the Vdimm MOSFET and the RAM. Never set the 4V line to less than 3.3v. Oskar Wu mentioned that it was imperative that the PSU be unplugged and rig discharged before switching any components.)

I'm aware that some types of RAM were dying (or being killed) on the board.
Generally it was the types mentioned here and I really don't know the answer why.
I'm aware that it just didn't want to boot with some types of memory and smaller power supplies. (Think it sucks a lot of juice at turn-on)

But I have built 5 boards and the only issue I had was my 1st build and I admitted that it was probably my fault. But other that the 1st board, I have had literally no issues. (And yes, I realize that makes me pretty lucky with the kind of abuse I have subjected my rigs to). And the performance of the DFI NF4 LP has really been better than I expected from it.

I use 3 sets of Mushkin PC3200 Black Level II, 1 set of Mushkin PC3500 Black Level II and a set of OCZ PC3200 Gold UTT/BH5. I swap them from rig to rig often using almost identical settings. I run them all at 3.5V 24/7 and I am fully aware that if they die it's probably caused I killed them. Faulty 4V circuit? doesn't really matter cause as deception' says, I'm the one that decided to use it.

A perfect board - well hell no! If it was we'd all be running unbelievable HTT's and it would boot with any type of RAM you inserted and board hot spots would be non-existant. But that just isn't real world. Every component interacts with others in the highly overclocked universe.

What pizzes me off is those of you that state/imply that support for DFI boards at DFI-street is worthless. It's a support forum that tries very hard to help DFI users. Many of the posters in this thread and at DFI-street would take umbrage at an idiotic statement like that. There are all sorts of guides that members have worked very hard on to assist users in maximizing their experiences with the board. So while I respect your right to express yourself about other forums, I can hardly agree with a dumbass statement like that.

Like any forum, it has it's own flavor or members that you may or not like. Probably why so many of us visit different forums in search of finding our perfect place.
end rant

May your clocks be high, your temps low, and Prime95s long

That was a whole lot of typing just to say that all flaming of DFI is unjustified, and then flaming us here. Add "Neener-neener-neener" to the end of it and you've completed the thought.....

I'm pretty sure sound is Angry_Games or another mod at DFI street because its either a coincidence or its a fact that some of the stuff he said in that post was the same thing that Angry_Games would say;>

See thats why we started oc-forums to keep people like you away from the "real" enthusiasts like yourself.

lmao, if he is @Angry_Games, what was his purpose of coming here.

BTW who even told him of such said place? go find your own home, we built this one many years ago

btw :welcome: to the forums.

Sorry about the long post.
I mentioned no one's name in my post.

I am soundx98 and no one else.

What I am ranting about is the demeaning the dfi-street forum by calling it worthless in terms of support. There have been many posts by members that were extremely useful to other users and I know of a great many that worked very hard to help others solve issues. You even agree, "I'm glad DFI has their support because I have found useful info on their forums..." which is exactly the point I was trying to make.

I am truely sorry that you have unresolved issues but to call the forum worthless is just blatently untrue. If someone posted at DFI-street mocking the membership of OCForums I would post the same sentiment.

Mushkin tech support has always been fantastic and that is why it remains my memory of choice. I have nothing but the highest regard for the people and the prodcut.

No idea what is meant by neener-neener-neener and I didn't post to flame.
A statement like "dumbass" was entirely punk on my part and certainly not needed to complete my thoughts. I apologize to you for it. Sincerely. It was meant not to criticize your skills or belittle your serious problem in any way. I was trying to state my personal experiences and that is all. But as a member of this forum I have a right to voice my opinion as well.

:welcome: to the forums.

I completely agree with your points. The issues that I think people will agree here is the issue, is not DFI but rather Angry Games abusing DFI's trust in him. I do not doubt that the others at DFI are both talented and kind, however if Angry wants to be a speech-head for DFI he needs to clean his act up quickly because people like myself and others are getting awefully ****ed off at him :mad:

Soundx98 is not A_G; rather, he is one of the 'old-schoolers' that I know since the NF2 days of the DFI boards. He has always been a very stand-up and fair guy, so the last thing anyone should do is flame him because he may symphathize with DFI Street or Angry in any way.

Also, there is a simple solution to the issues people have with Angry Games....don't visit the site. I have spoken with him on several occassions, and he is actually not that bad. However, he has been burned very bad in the past, especially from all the flaming that shut down the official DFI forum over at AMDForums/PCPerspective (ask Soundx98 as he knows, too). Moreover, know that DFI does not wholly fund DFI-Street; a lot of the funds to go into the upkeep and maintenance of that site come from Angry Games, so he really has a lot of discretion in how the forum is ran (however good and/or bad that may be). As a matter of fact, I believe that DFI only has slight creative control about what can and/or cannot appear on those forums, but I cannot say that with 100% certainty.

The bottom line is that there are plenty of other channels through which one can garner information concerning DFI's product lines. I have always tried to make myself available to the questions and/or comments of others; moreover, there are plenty of other non-DFI forums such as XtremeSystems.org through which one could gather information on timings and troubleshoot like mad. So forgive my lack of sympathy, but it is not like DFI-Street is the only avenue through which you can obtain information or help.

deception``

deception`` said:
Soundx98 is not A_G; rather, he is one of the 'old-schoolers' that I know since the NF2 days of the DFI boards. He has always been a very stand-up and fair guy, so the last thing anyone should do is flame him because he may symphathize with DFI Street or Angry in any way.

Also, there is a simple solution to the issues people have with Angry Games....don't visit the site. I have spoken with him on several occassions, and he is actually not that bad. However, he has been burned very bad in the past, especially from all the flaming that shut down the official DFI forum over at AMDForums/PCPerspective (ask Soundx98 as he knows, too). Moreover, know that DFI does not wholly fund DFI-Street; a lot of the funds to go into the upkeep and maintenance of that site come from Angry Games, so he really has a lot of discretion in how the forum is ran (however good and/or bad that may be). As a matter of fact, I believe that DFI only has slight creative control about what can and/or cannot appear on those forums, but I cannot say that with 100% certainty.

The bottom line is that there are plenty of other channels through which one can garner information concerning DFI's product lines. I have always tried to make myself available to the questions and/or comments of others; moreover, there are plenty of other non-DFI forums such as XtremeSystems.org through which one could gather information on timings and troubleshoot like mad. So forgive my lack of sympathy, but it is not like DFI-Street is the only avenue through which you can obtain information or help.

deception``

Well when you use DFI-Street as another reason to sell your board, it should be better than it is. Why do people keep saying that its ok the be mediocre and its ok to have lackluster support. Sure there are helpful things on dfi-street but they should be striving to be the best.

Meathead said:
Well when you use DFI-Street as another reason to sell your board, it should be better than it is. Why do people keep saying that its ok the be mediocre and its ok to have lackluster support. Sure there are helpful things on dfi-street but they should be striving to be the best.

It seems that you have misunderstood me.

I am not defending DFI Street nor Angry for their actions. What I am saying, however, is that NOT VISITING the site speaks louder than the flaming that has gone on here. The bottom line is that, while some of you (and others I suppose) may complain about the forums, there are still tons of people who frequent DFI Street on a regular basis. Having said this, why should AG pay attention to the complaints of the few when the majority have no issue? My whole point is that (a) there are better ways to get ones point across and (b) all this fussing and whining is literally falling on deaf ears.

With all that being said, I do think that people such as yourself deserve the right to voice their opinions and seek advice; as I have said earlier, there are already several other channels besides DFI Street where one can easily find the help they seek.

deception``

I had to RMA a SLI-DR when the VRM suppling the CPU failed for no good reason as there was no overclocking ever. I suspect faulty FETs as the board just failed to boot one night and the CPU was stone cold indicating that there was no power getting to it.

The referb replacement seems to be working better and the T1 timing is working now. T2 was the best we could get with the bad board and it was less stable in games.

I think I could deal with the likes of a DFI board but I can't recommend it for anyone other than a dedicated overclocker. There are many other boards that are more PnP friendly for people who want to build a decent gaming system and don't need or want many overclocking options.

Asus has its issues too but that A8N32-SLI is starting to look good while DFI expert isn't looking so good in light of the cocky attitudes of one particular admin over at DFI-Street. Asus custormer support ain't so good either but if the hardware isn't as touchy, not as much support would be needed.

I haven't decided on any board yet, only the AMD64 Denmark Opteron processor.

Audio....

Problem is DFI boards were never intended for anyone but the avid enthusiast. As much as I enjoy these motherboards I have never advised a beginner to try these out (to the best of my recollection, that is).

The Expert boards are still very new, so any potential issues with them will probably be ironed out within the near future. My personal rule of thumb is to never buy something right at the launch - you never know what issues any sort of hardware might have.

Oh, and I do recall an ASUS A8N32 board killing a CPU, too. Give both the boards a little time before you buy :)

deception``

Sentential said:
:welcome: to the forums.

I completely agree with your points. The issues that I think people will agree here is the issue, is not DFI but rather Angry Games abusing DFI's trust in him. I do not doubt that the others at DFI are both talented and kind, however if Angry wants to be a speech-head for DFI he needs to clean his act up quickly because people like myself and others are getting awefully ****ed off at him :mad:

well said man

i think this sums it up really.....you can't have a mod who goes from zero -> ******* as quickly as AG does and expect ppl to put up with it.

that isn't support in my world

Get a DFI board and learn what you can on your own. I use DFI exclusivly and yet wouldn't listen to a single word AG says. First thing that tipped me off is that I supposedlly need a 500w PSU (OCZ ... hint hint) regardless that my whole rig (now a dual-core) only draws 150-200w (measured via Kill-a-Watt) and memory on their list (there's some collaboration between them and OCZ... which I have as well.) So... as much as I like their gear, I don't trust them and nor should anyone.

well
i am a regular user of dfi street...i spent about 4 months reading before i bought my sli-d

i am not gonna talk about angry games....."....READ THE DAMM RULLES...."
ppl like soundx98 and others can be very helpfull and talk to users the proper way with education......
i understand that AG has a lot on his mind and a lot of ppl ask a lot of things that can be found on the stickys...over and over withouth bothering to search for an answer
i had some issues with him and right now i dont get any answers from him...except to shout at me....i emailed him cause i had some temp sensors issues and i am still waiting for the answer
but that is hardly the point....i dont go to dfi street to see AG...i go there to learn with other ppl experience with this mobos and to help when i know , or just to point out the lack of sig or just to say welcome.....
i had severe issues with my vx 4000....3 kits died....
i sold my sli-d and bought an ultra-d...lets see if this new mobo wont fry the vx anymore
i had also a misreading with my sli-d......when i changed mobo my temps went down like 10cº...

there are very good and frendly ppl at dfi-street.....
i like it there...i learn a lot
as for AG...well......maybe some day he will realise that WE ARE NOT ALL DUMBA$$ES.......or not.....i think is pointless to atack AG....if u dont like it there....just avoid it
not taking side here....lol....AG hates me....i dont care...i go there i follow the rules...i help when i can...thats it

see ya guys

I am new to this site, but I have (was) a frequent member at DFI-Street for the past couple of months. I should also note that this is the first PC I have ever built so I am a newbie to say the least. In short, I had to sell my DFI LanPArty Ultra D. It was way too advanced for me and I don't have the time to tweak a mobo just to make it not crash.

I purchased the DFI board in the first place because everyone talked so highly of them. The board got tons of great reviews from users at Newegg. I thought I was making a good purchase. I made the PC and quickly realized that my dram wouldn't run in dual channel, but would boot and stay on running in single channel. Regardless, the system would crash every day or so, usually in the middle of the night or day when I wasn't using it. I went to DFI street and asked for help. Some people were nice;; many were rude and talked down to me. The last time I checked the $139 I paid for the board as a Newbie was the same green color that these experts paid for it. I don't see the purpose in making fun of other users.

DFI's real tech support is ridiculous. The guy (and I won't mention his name) was a complete jerk to me. He didn't offer me one ounce of help, but rather provided me links to other forums articles at DFI street! That is not tech support. When a guy is lost and asks for directions, you aren't giving him "support" when you reply, "look at the map."

One of the tech support's gripes was that I didn't have the minimum specified parts for the mobo. Specifically, he didn't like my RAM (admittedly, it is Geil value RAM) nor my PSU. First the RAM, no where, and I mean no where on DFI's site does it say that you need to spend $200 on great RAM to run the board. No disclaimer what so ever. And even if I do have value ram, shouldn't it work but not as well as other brands? A Porsche arguably has a better engine than a Kia, but that doesn't mean that putting regular gas in the Porsche means it won't run! I could understand if I was trying to OC my system on value ram - that would be wrong. But the system should be stable with all ram and work wonders on expensive ram. He also attacked my PSU, which was only rated at 430W. He ridiculed me for not having a 480W. My problem with that complaint is that DFI's own manual for the board says that the min is 400W - so building it the way that I did was spec. Nonetheless, his answer to my every question was that he wouldn't help me until I brought my system into his level of "spec". What a friggin' joke. Thanks pal.

I am not saying they make a bad product - admittedly, it was the wrong choice for a beginner. But I don't want to hear anyone say that DFI offers any tech support - THEY DO NOT.

Sorry about the long post, but I can't read ridiculous comments about people defending DFI's support. They had a duty to assist me as a customer. That is the way I see it. Now, you can bash me for my comments.

what about the problems like mine? I couldn't cold or warm boot and now they barely boot at all. Even my good stick of bh-5 I have, doesn't boot correctly all the time. So far I've seen 1 other person with my problem and no solutions. We'll see if new redline sticks does the trick. Some problems are not common and some problems are not due to user error or me not knowing enough. And still, last time I checked, enthusiasts want a board that works too.

steelballzz

I here you .I have only aked for help on DFI street a few times and most of my question's didnt get answered because i didnt have the board yet.And then i was told that i need to have all my specs im sig or no one would help me.And when they say specs they dont mean 3700+/LP UT NF4 UltraD /520 powerstrean/ and 6800GS etc ,They want bios version ram timings every llittle detail.And it took me a week to get registered.Some how i registered as a 12 year old..lol Even though i gave my birth date which is lets just say way before the 1992 cut off date for being 13 years old.And needed my parents permission to post etc.Well it took me over a week to get that all taken care of.I would have to say i dont care to use DFI street anymore.I just come here and HWA and a few others like ExtremeOC and Rebels Haven to name a few.I know HWA isnt all that but its my second forum and the frist forum i ever i joined

Last edited:
Super Nade said:
That is a good point you bring up. Both OCZ an surprisingly PC-P&C PSU's have taken a beating with this board! Never heard of either of them blowing up on other boards :confused:

UTT =! BH-5 :)

The Mushkin BH-5 in my sig is searing fast! You saw my results in the sticky. I have had zero problems with these sticks. I have another gig of PC3200 lvl II Blks on the way. :D

Joe,
I don't think manufacturers would risk cutting voltage tolerence levels, the number of RMA's would be humongous! What stands out is the fact that failures have been short term not long term. There is some sort of a safety window on this. I have read about people losing their RAM withing a short period of 2 days to 1 week. Another little titbit is that these people have lost their RAM NOT during continious operation but when the computer was switched on. I do not have a precise dataset to back my conjecture, but gathering data would not be very hard, as plenty is available :)

I'm not really sure what exact parameters set this window, but I believe it exists. What do you think?

I am just guessing here..a wild guess, I believe this has something to do with the PCB as well as the chips.

The lvl II Blk's I believe are on JEDEC standard PCB's not BP ones we see today. I don't know the engineering differences, but I feel this could be a factor as well. Does anybody know if one can get vintage BH-5 on BP PCB's?

The question was asked:

The lvl II Blk's I believe are on JEDEC standard PCB's not BP ones we see today. I don't know the engineering differences, but I feel this could be a factor as well. Does anybody know if one can get vintage BH-5 on BP PCB's?

In response to this part of the question, should anyone be interested, the OCZ PC3500 Plat Ltd Edition (original revision) was made on BP PCB.

It is a fairly rare bird...but a pretty good performer, by all accounts.

Sentential, thank you for the welcome and understanding my point of view.
Deception'', karl pell, and steelballz, thank you for the kind words.

bnsinclair, sorry you feel that my comments were ridiculous but you have a right to your opinion. I certainly hope your new rig provides a better experience.

Both Deception'' and karl pell offered some great advice (as they always manage to do) on dealing with the issue. My point should be clear, I feel that the DFI-street forum serves an extremely useful function and that many helpful members there were offended by comments in this thread.

I feel I got blasted pretty good as well before Sentential stepped in, but as I said my "dumbazz" comment was hardly appropriate. I do respect your rights to your opinions but respectfully disagree with some of your comments.

In all honesty and this is not to offend anyone at DFI-STREET, because I am a memeber there also. From what I see though one can garner more knowledge get more questions answered and troubleshoot much better on these forums and on Xtrme forums, without all the hassle. It also much more organized then DFI-STREET is. The only time I ever asked for help on DFI-STREET i went to thunda, thunda is cool as is soundx98 (MBM5 customizations :attn: ) Ace Goober is another cool dude also.

Thing is DFI-STREET has a handfull of knowledgable people and almost an entire NEWB community that doesnt abide by the same boundaries and standards as most of the veterans on here and Xtrme forums go by as far as rules and just ease of communication, so I could see how it could grow thin on angry, he needs to understand that not everyone fell off the turnip truck yesterday though.

Last edited:
Back