• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can i strip it down?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

d94

$30 a phone
not sure to put this here or in the storage section
but i just bought this combo drive for $34 shipped ^^
im wonderin if i can strip it bare and put it in the casing that my laptop's (a compaq n600c) current 24x cd rom is in?

I think most laptops you can pop out the thing and simply slide a new one in.

glen37 said:
I think most laptops you can pop out the thing and simply slide a new one in.
its probably a proprietary design so i doubt it will be that easy

How much do the compaq cd drives cost... you might just be better off buying something that you know will work.

from what iv heard most laptops have the same drives w/different casings around em is all

d94 said:
from what iv heard most laptops have the same drives w/different casings around em is all

That's correct. Every CD drive I've come accross has this connector http://www.baber.com/baber/products/slimline_cd_adapter.htm

You should be able to just rip the Dell cd drive case off (carefully) and then just put the N600c case on. I know the n600c uses the same casing as the M700 which I changed drives for so there's no problem on the n600c side. (I've bought N600c, they're excellent)

Excellent :D
now i just need to find a wide enough, tiny skrew driver!

d94 said:

I'll agree with ViolinB.

The insides are the same, but there is an adapter on most of them. The adapter varies from just an adapter like V posted, to a complete case like you have.

The only thing you need to worry about, is the notch in the front lower right corner. Some faceplates have that, and some don't. If you get the one with a notch, and don't need it, it looks funny. If you need the notch and don't get one, you have more problems. My IBM stuff needs that notch, since that is where the extraction lever is.

steve

just got the drive the other day and its just a cd-rw! GAH
i went back to the ebay auction and he says no where that its a dvd player, however its listed in the combo drives section and he has a combo drive picture! do i deserve a refund?

btw i did get it to work! just couldnt get the bezzles to line up..i had np's putting them back together however

Back