• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Very odd Block idea...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Quote:
Im almost positive that that will make nearly no sense, but if everyone that makes blocks and sells them claims that you want it, it must have a benefit.
Yeah, and racing stripes will make it go faster ;)
That explanation didn't make any sense to me. I don't think it'll help. In fact, I'd think LESS turbulence would help.

m1066ad said:
Quote:
That explanation didn't make any sense to me. I don't think it'll help. In fact, I'd think LESS turbulence would help.

trust me on it :) i know a fair bit about this stuff because im learning a lot about aerodynamics at college.... air is a fluid, behaves like water.... boundary layer is a factor, not a huge one but turbulance will give u maybe a degree or 2 better performance.

proof of what i said: the tubing restricts flow. Why is this? the friction between the water molecules and the walls of the tubing!

it is like using lots of small tubes in a radiator than one huge pipe! the water in the middle is not picking up as much heat as the water close to the surface.... introducing turbulence lets this water take heat from the surface, therefore more cooling!

cooling always comes down to surface area, by putting a moving block in you loose some surface area as the block is not fixed and will not conduct well.

if you want something to look cool, a plexi water block with a small fan in it would look great

Large surface area is far more important in an air cooled setup than a water cooled one. And in all actuality, putting an obstruction, moving or not, in a large open cavity will increase the surface area, not reduce it. Think of it the same way as a heatsink... Heatsink that was just a flat chunk of copper wouldn't cool very well, however if you put a fin (or lots of fins) in there to fill in the space, you increase surface area several fold...
Peace
John

yea i didnt cut myself off mid thought
but i do believe that if you make the water travel in a "whirlpool" type way then it would work pretty well, go to the watercooling section of the front page and they did a review of a block like this, and will someone please tell me how to put a picture on my post not just attach it i would greatly appreciate it.....

It needs to be a jpeg image from what I have seen and it cant be larger than 660x600 or over a certain size. But you select the attach file you browse and place it within ... i also had troubles with post pics for quite some time then it just worked... hope that was of some help...

ok, i know how to attach a file, i want to put it directly on the reply so that people dont have to d/l the pic but can just see it on the thread

Random Nonsense said:

trust me on it :) i know a fair bit about this stuff because im learning a lot about aerodynamics at college.... air is a fluid, behaves like water.... boundary layer is a factor, not a huge one but turbulance will give u maybe a degree or 2 better performance.

proof of what i said: the tubing restricts flow. Why is this? the friction between the water molecules and the walls of the tubing!

it is like using lots of small tubes in a radiator than one huge pipe! the water in the middle is not picking up as much heat as the water close to the surface.... introducing turbulence lets this water take heat from the surface, therefore more cooling!

william and random nonsense are on the money

when a fluid moves across a non moving surface, there is a point where the fluid comes into contact with that surface. (obviously). we'll call the surface the Block.

when that happens, the surface of the liquid reacts against the friction of the Block where they contact one another and the motion on the surface of the liquid slows down or stops at that contact point. this is called the boundry layer.

as we know, moving liquid across a surface is what provides us the best heat transfer abilities. when that liquid stops, it's doing a less efficient job. the liquid of the boundry layer is relying on normal convection to warm it up enough so it rises off the contact surface and back into the waterflow. at which point it's replaced with something cooler when it leaves.

creating a small amount of turbulence on the contact surface of the block will prevent the boundry layer from forming and increase the Heat Transfer potential of your apparatus.

due to the size of our systems, this performance increase is marginal at best, but it's there. and we all know that its the little things all added up in the end that give us the performance we're looking for.

William was right. randomly soddered little 'nubbs' along the surface of the copper would work and create enough turbulence to prevent the boundry layer from forming - so would small perpendicular grooves (as in a unfinished piece of copper, or taking a file to the surface of it). where this becomes a factor in a tube, they generally fasten a small wire or spring inside the length of the tube to which breaks up the boundry layer and helps maintain a little surface turbulence. on another note, this technique might also help you guys with radiator problems looking to grab another couple of degrees of cooling power from it. i haven't tested it, but in theory it should be a decent idea.

ifmu - your idea isn't without merit but i believe is overkill if the only purpose is to create turbulence inside your block. there are alot of parts that need to be kept in optimal working order, which would require a certain amount of maintenance. theres also the issue of reduced flow rates due to the resistance of your rotating "piston".

keep crankin mr man. nice to see original ideas up here.

Last edited:
hey, the copper stirrer that they use in biology labs.... if the magnetic interference wasn't a problem, that could create a decent amount of turbulence in the center of a pool-type block... i think that being able to set that up would be hard, and i'm pretty sure that someone once told me not to mix water and electronics <which, by the way, i have ignored recently and my DD M2 will be here shortly> and not to mix magnets and electronics <which i might not ever do; perhaps some good advice> so.. yeah, its a GREAT idea... in theory...

i have no clue what i talk about, especially when i have a test tomorrow and i'm up this late! argh, i need to quit drinking before tests!
-Randall

Its 1AM, ive had a few beers, im tired, got a headache and this is just way to confusing.... Oh look a pig just came in through the window!!!!

P.S. Can anyone explain this in a simplified way?

Completely off the subject here, I've always wanted to know what the difference is between a Rotary engine and a Wankel engine. They both use either a single (Or in the RX-7's case, 2 "pistons") piston with 3 "chambers" per "piston". The onyl difference I can see is that a Wankel engine's "chambers" have a hinge between them.

when did plexiglass start conducting heat? last i checked it conducts as well as plastic, cna you saymeltdown?

Ok ranger, thats something that Ive seen before, however most make it go the exact opposite. The water comes in hits the exact spot of the die and then exits in some fashion. Its thought that it might drop the actual die temp a point or two... since the coldest water is hitting the die directly then flowing away and out...

Back