• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Very odd Block idea...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IFMU

The Xtreme Senior Nobody
Ok heres the deal, I was on another site and someone had a pic posted of how the rotary engine works.. Well... As insane as I am, I saw something totally different... Look at the pic and see if you see what I did.........

Now that youve seen it, What I was thinking was, what if you added a peice to the internals of the mounted waterblock to your cpu? A peice that rotates to the water flow? It of course should be of the same type of material as the block itself, and there should be something to help lubricate it so it wont just sand itself away. but What do you think that this would do? I was thinking that it might help lower temps a few degrees.. a block on the inside to help cause turbulance within the block, and even hold some cool from the water being pushed in, granted it might hold some of the heat as well... any ideas anyone?

good idea, but i dont think that would really benefit at all.

the whole idea behind it is that the chambers are closed when the middle "piston" is in a certain position. so it would actually restrict waterflow.

Well my thought was that it would not really stop the flow so much as just move the water around more... Not real sure, just an idea that hit me at 4am! But Im going to be building my own blocks soon, I might give it a try and see how it could compare...

rotary engines, aka "rockwell" engines.

used in very few cars, (Mazda RX-7 is one of them).

if you look at the pic, you can kinda figure out how it works. howefver, ifmu is talking about doing it backwards... instead of using sparks to move the piece in the middle, you use the waterflow to move the block, thus using its motion to induce some sort of turbulence, or cooling effect.

This will do a couple of things to the block.

1. Vibration. Trust me, this thing will vibrate under a good pump. And probably make one hell of a racket. You really want that on your brand new 1800+ AMD?

2. Although it will help stir things up, you lose alot of volume inside your waterblock. Probably around 70%.

3. What if it sticks and the the water is only being channeled from the incoming tube to the outgoing. You just lost alot of cooling power.

But hey, at least someone is being original.

Well thanks for the thoughts, again just an idea Im throwing out there... What if it was something that wieghed very little, say made of plastic and not metal? Like a wiffle ball but just much smaller? Lots of holes in it, but the freedom to move some, not alot, just some?

What you need is a magnetic stirrer. They have these in labs. A coil moves the magnetic rod around to stir things up. Only prob would be the magnetism scrambling the cpu! Or would it?

i have heard that if you make a block that has a completely open center

i dont know how to insert a picture for the message, so please tell me how if you please and ill show you the idea

why not just add something else non moving to increase turbulence? Random copper bits soddered to the base would do that as would little copper walls or sharp corners in a maze type block. I think it is a neat idea, but vibration and it getting stuck are of concern.

RangerJoe34 said:
i have heard that if you make a block that has a completely open center

i dont know how to insert a picture for the message, so please tell me how if you please and ill show you the idea

Well Ive read this 3 or 4 times and it still looses me. No offense but I think you cut yourself off mid-thought.

Ok by my limited understanding turbulence forces the water to be able to hit more (in effect) of the surface area of the inside of the block.

Im almost positive that that will make nearly no sense, but if everyone that makes blocks and sells them claims that you want it, it must have a benefit.

Now back to my original thoughts here. Ok Now if you want turbulence inside the block, I can understand the idea of just adding rougher edges inside. But my thoughts here are that if the peice on the inside is loose enough to move some and yet large enough not to slam around and move the block wouldnt it be able to absorb the cold from the water that is being forced in? Which in turn, cooling the water? Granted I dont see this making a major difference in temps, but I think it might help a little. Which in my thinking, if you get 4 or 5 different things that help just a little, you will get a much larger difference.

m1066ad said:
What on earth makes you think that turbulence would help??

there is no such thing as a perfect fluid, they all have viscosity, therefore when they pass over a surface, the fluid directly in contact with the surface is slowed by friction, and the next "layer" up slowed by this.... now we all know that we want to get the heat away from the source as fast as possible, so having a boundary layer of slower moving water will mean the heat is not removed as quickly, turbulence will stur up the boundary layer, so getting cooler water into contact with the surface again, therefore it is able to remove more heat!

The idea off making a water block like a rotary engine would only really be worth it if you made the top out of plexi, it would just look really cool! no extra performance at all.

Random Nonsense said:
The idea off making a water block like a rotary engine would only really be worth it if you made the top out of plexi, it would just look really cool! no extra performance at all.
Well as luck would have it I am in the process of making a plexi block, so it just might look very schweet :p.

nick_cw said:
this whole thing is crazy!! I'm gonna stick to watercooling the normal way!
The normal way? and you call yourself an overclocker?!!!

Sorry man, no such thing as normal when it comes to adding water to a computer setup!!!

Back