• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case Suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Archer36

Hey all I am really getting tired of my out of ATX spec case, and ATM I am looking for a cheap replacement.

My target price is no more than $50 (Just moved from Intel, to AMD 939). It needs to accommodate a '77 b'ville core, preferably in the front along with the normal pump and CPU WB. Minimal moding is nice, but I do have a dremel :) as i will probably be cutting out 80% of the front to allow the b'ville to breath.

So what do we got to fit those specs?

Thanks

I'd love to give you suggestions, but to be perfectly honest, I cannot find a single case on the market that fits my needs (to fit WC stuff), look nice (black, and none of this homo alien/spider/wierd crap), and not be a freekin' huge mosnter *cough* stackers. I'm quite disappointed; it almost makes me want to build my own.

To the drawing board!

Stewie said:
I'd love to give you suggestions, but to be perfectly honest, I cannot find a single case on the market that fits my needs (to fit WC stuff), look nice (black, and none of this homo alien/spider/wierd crap), and not be a freekin' huge mosnter *cough* stackers. I'm quite disappointed; it almost makes me want to build my own.

To the drawing board!
I feel ya also, however I would love to have the CM Stacker but its way out of my price range.

The Antec SLK3000B is by far the best value and one of the best designs on the market today. Removable HDD cage with rubber mounts, 2x 120mm fan mounts (1 fan included), intake filter, modular 3.5" drive bay, slide rail 5.5" drive mounts, tool-less entry, very strudy construction and excellent finishing.

hafa said:
The Antec SLK3000B is by far the best value and one of the best designs on the market today. Removable HDD cage with rubber mounts, 2x 120mm fan mounts (1 fan included), intake filter, modular 3.5" drive bay, slide rail 5.5" drive mounts, tool-less entry, very strudy construction and excellent finishing.

Not for those of us with fan controllers however... :-/

Stewie said:
Not for those of us with fan controllers however... :-/
Who would run there fans any lower than 12v ... who cares about the noise :p

Anyways about the

hafa said:
Hmm ok, so if I remove both HDD and the 3.5 I should be able to fit my 2x120 '77 b'ville in there? The core is 12 inches tall :bang head

What I am looking into is to remove an area in the plastic with width and heigh of the 2x120's then take some mesh type stuff that ghettocomp uses from Home depot and use that to cover the gaping hole.

Yea I saw those on the egg, however they are pricy and look way to hard to mod with that curved front.

Archer36 said:
Hmm ok, so if I remove both HDD and the 3.5 I should be able to fit my 2x120 '77 b'ville in there? The core is 12 inches tall :bang head

What I am looking into is to remove an area in the plastic with width and heigh of the 2x120's then take some mesh type stuff that ghettocomp uses from Home depot and use that to cover the gaping hole.

I'm not sure, but I don't think its possible...my dad's rig is in one of these, it has a "regular" 1x120mm heatercore installed (Chevette I think), and its pretty tight with the 3.5 bays. If you're willing to go into the lower 5.25 bays (you'd have to cut), you could do it. Of course, I'm halfway across the country from this rig right now, so I can't check and confirm it with you, but if you look at the Newegg pics, the 5.25 bays look like they take up more than 1/3 the height of the case. The case is 18" tall, your heatercore is roughly 12", so you'd need at least 2/3 of the height available, which the bottom part of the 5.25 looks like it occupies, so it checks out.

If you're willing to jump up in price a little bit, this full tower should do you really well. The Antec is an awesome case, simply the best for its value and one of the best out there period, but its a tad cramped for a dual-fan heatercore.

I wish it was easy to make your own... WHy cant they just make the same design as the v2000b with none of those seperate compartments. It's a big case, but they mess it up by putting those sections.

Back