• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I build a comp without a case?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wangjaroni

Registered
Having trouble getting it started without the power switch (that would be in a case).

I have an ASUS P5WD2 mobo and I tried the screwdriver on the power switch pins and it doesn't start.

Anything else I need to do?

you could just like...steal the button out of any random case.

But if you wanna use the screwdriver...that SHOULD work, but make sure the psu is on, and that should be it.

You can make a jumper using small aligator clips and wire, but be careful to make certain you make it in a way that won't short anything. I would use some heat shrink that fits over the pins and the clip to be certain nothing shorts.

The better road would be to order a Power switch and install that onto the mobo header. Be carful though, because that is an expensive board...and a good one too I might add. :)

karl pell said:
for long term bench work, try this.
wow thats pretty pricey for something so simple. It wouldnt be all that hard to make something like that for 1/3 of the price

switches_517.jpg

Depending on the design of your case; you might not be able to do this (no access to the mobo), but you could ghetto rig something up. Or just steal a button. Seems most plausible.

Oh yeah, they are at www.highspeedpc.com . Under the accecories column.

I sometimes use spare jumpers that ship with some motherboards, just touch the jumper over the two pins for PWR ON. I've also done it once with just a bare strand of wire I found around the house. I've never actually done the screwdrive method, perhaps junk on the screwdriver is messing with conductivity, there's little to no chance of that IMHO, but its a possibility. Also, make sure the PSU is switched on first, I've been blockheaded enough to screw that up before.

Back