• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Damn this 650 is sweet!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dylskee

I recently swapped out my 830D for this 650 and I love this thing so far! I haven't had too much time to play with it yet but i gave it some voltage and cranked it up to 265x17= 4505GHz. I didn't try much more than that, didn't want to give it more voltage. And this chip runs A LOT cooler than the dualies! This is on air. Here's a couple screen shots...........
6509ql.jpg

And a super PI, 28sec not too bad.
spi7bb.jpg

Last edited:
Blackmage said:
very nice think it's about time you updated the SIG :D
word

very nice dude! im tempted to sell my 830..but it does 4.1...havent had time to mess with it otherwise..it broke my 4ghz goal so imma happi
btw these chips can be had for $180 on ebay :D

Nice results, I got mine to bench @ 4600mhz on air.
asdfsasdf.jpg

You will probably surpass my scores @ 4550mhz or so, since your already in the 28 second range. Congrats.

Your temps are SO much better than mine, what is your ambient temp?

It's pretty warm here today for November, about 60F. Once the cold weather sets in i should get some pretty good results, i'm in the cellar and it gets damn cold down there! :cool: I will probably get a water cooling setup after the holidays. You got that thing to 4.6GHz on air?!?! What kind of voltage did you have to give it?

Yeah, i'll probably need more voltage to hit that mark, if it's even possible. I had to give it 1.45V to get to 4.5GHz, probably need water to get further. I'll have some time this weekend to mess with it more and run some benchies.

d94 said:
word

very nice dude! im tempted to sell my 830..but it does 4.1...havent had time to mess with it otherwise..it broke my 4ghz goal so imma happi
btw these chips can be had for $180 on ebay :D
You got 4.1GHz to run stable? Sweet! I only paid a few bucks more than that anyway, and this one is brand new. :D These 650's are still pretty expensive from the egg. I got some pretty good clocks from my 830 but the heat is a bit too much. This 650 runs about 10c cooler!!!!

Nasgul, Im thinking the exact same thing. A 661 (3.6ghz) Cedarmill will probably do 5.5ghz on phase, its basically a 500 - 600mhz jump from the 6xx series.

Nice clock man. I thought about upgrading to a 650 or 660, but I am just going to wait for cedarmill. I have some spare things laying around and I need to put them up for sale so I can start saving for one. Hahahah, I JUST got a new laptop on Saturday and I am already thinking of a way to spend more money on computer stuff.

Alchemy1 said:
Nice clock man. I thought about upgrading to a 650 or 660, but I am just going to wait for cedarmill. I have some spare things laying around and I need to put them up for sale so I can start saving for one. Hahahah, I JUST got a new laptop on Saturday and I am already thinking of a way to spend more money on computer stuff.
Thanks man, it's pretty easy to spend more $$ on computer stuff!! :santa: When are these new chips coming out?

Very nice clocks. The 6xx CPU's will work better with single threaded apps and will clock higher, and the 8xx work on multithreaded apps, but tend to clock a little lower.

Now that you have both maybe you can setup a gaming only system, and a multimedia system and have it all.

Both are excellent CPU's.

If you're gaming and benching and want high clocks the 6xx is the one, but the 8xx are no slouches either.

Both do very well in both applications really, it's just that the 8xx does a little bit better in the multi-threaded stuff, but they're still very close.

The 6xx CPU's are fun. I like them, and really love to read about all the numbers they are getting. Extreme and Ross can give you alot of great tips on them, as they are in the Extreme end of it. Just make sure which numbers you are talking about...i.e. Air or Phase numbers. The Phase numbers will show higher voltages that you might not wanna try with Air. hehe

4.5Ghz is a very sweet clock on Air. You should be proud of that. You have another good one. Have fun with it. :)

Oh nice dylskee. I’m jealous of the heat problem you no longer have. That thing probably feels like an ice cube compared to that dual. Can’t argue with those benchies either. Throw us a PCmark04 score.

hyperasus said:
Oh nice dylskee. I’m jealous of the heat problem you no longer have. That thing probably feels like an ice cube compared to that dual. Can’t argue with those benchies either. Throw us a PCmark04 score.
Thanks hyperasus, yeah this chip runs cool. At stock speeds my idle temp is 29c vs 38c with the dual core. I'll get some benchmarks up soon, got the flu right now so i'm going back to bed. :(

Nasgul said:
Word is Cedar Mill and Presler can do 250fsb x Full Multi on stock cooling and low voltages.......can anyone imagine on XP-120 or water? Would it be possible 5GHZ+ for Cedar and 4.5GHZ for Presler?

Now, that'll be sweet!
satanteeth.gif
Heh, I've already got my 660 to 5Ghz on water...

TWY said:
Do you have the FPO/Batch # for your 650 chip? :)

650 SL7Z7 Costa Rica 04A
3535B263

Ok, this is strange. I just ran pcmark04 at stock speeds just to see what kind of numbers i would get, @3.4GHz 5275. :eh?:
So i figured i would lower the multi and crank up the FSB, i went to 265x14= 3.71GHz, 5473. (Pcmark04 says it's running at 4.513GHz) I went to 285x14= 3.99GHz, 5859. These are horrible scores to say the least, i don't have anything running in the background either. I disabled my antivirus and killed all programs that were running. Does it have something to do with pcmark thinking i'm running a 17 multi but i'm really running a 14?

Has anyone else experienced such low pcmark04 scores with a 6xx series cpu? I got 7970 with my 830D, i would think i should be somewhere near that with a 650.

I've been told by the guys on the Team that PC04 is mark of overall system performance. Your RAM, VC, HDD's, and even your chipset will come into play in that bench. It's probably because on the 820 the 2 cores are more efficient than the single.

Numbers are good, and if you can get them up that's good and generally shows an increase in performance, but it's relative. It's not the end all definitive measure. You can only compare like systems numbers. If you try to compare different systems you'll get all kinds of different numbers.

Back