• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Playstation 3 DRM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well we can hold out hope for Xbox360, but I for one am considering not buying it anyway. My main reason was Halo 3, and with a different team developing it, there's no reason to think it will resemble Halo 1, which I liked 100x more than Halo 2.

This would be really stupid from Sony. And stupid is not how you remain the number one in the console market. If this indeed true, they will receive a huge flower arrangement from Microsoft who clearly would gain a major advantage in this war.
To be continued, no doubt...

that's it, i'm fed up with all the DRM BULLS#*T. From now on i'm not Buying ANYTHING that says SONY on it!

BOYCOTT SONY!!!

You don't need to boycott them to hurt their sales. They've done a good enough job of that on their own.

Very true... but with the CD stuff they have been up to, I wouldn't put it past them.

Oni said:
This is still yet to be proven or implemented. Just 'cause they got a patent doesn't mean that they will implement it.

that is true. I can't see them killing the entire rental market for their console. They probably did not count on all ofthe backlash from their CD Drm. I'm betting that they will be alot more careful in their implementations in the future.

I bet someone over at Gamecube sends them a Thank You card for an oppertunity to get back in the console market :D

I want to see the cd issue blow up in sony's face so they don't go ahead with farther drm crap. I saw at bbc news that there are now 3 lawsuits filed over the cd rootkit with more possibly on the way. I can't beleive people are still buying Sony CDs. I suppose it will take a year or two before the general mass of idiots realise their computers have been ruined.

While I think Sony is capable of doing a lot of really dumb stuff, I have a really hard time seeing them implementing this quite as described. It's just devalues their product way too much.

However...I could see them maybe doing it with multi authorization codes on a disc. Maybe like a "Three Strikes and You're Out" type deal where when you put it in the fourth system you're toast.

And, maybe they'd make some "unlocked" copies specifically for rental companies...and probably charge those rental companies big time $$$ for those discs.

Still incredibly dumb to do in my opinion... But, given Sony's track record with DRM and copy protection so far, it wouldn't be any more drastic and dumb than things they've already done in the past.

I can't even imagine this happening.

Sony does some very stupid stuff, but I agree with the dude who said they aren't this stupid.

Wait and see I guess.

Its most likely an over reaction from the, not so credible, media.

Sony is the company full of stupid moves...but there is no way this is true

If it is, it's the dumbest move made by any company in history.

This totally destroys one of their biggest markets (renters)...I can't see this happening...but if it's true then the PS3 definitely needs to be boycotted...they'll lose more money to the loss of sales because of this than they would to copyright infringment.

Im not sure weather to believe this or not. renting games was one of the gigest attractions of consoles for me. I a know when all my friends and I are playing Super smash borthers, we are always taking our one copy of the game to different peoples houses to play, depending on whos parents are home and who has the biggest TV.

I am going to have to agree that it would be mighty dumb for sony to allow something that would prohibit renting/borrowing/playing games at friends houses.

Is console game piracy as rampant as PC game piracy, I always thought less people pirated games for consoles than they did for PCs as was under the possibly false assupmtion that it was harder to get pirated games on to a console, like I dont think I have ever heard of anyone running pirated super smash brothers or anything since I dont see how you would get it onto the system (and please don't give me any details, im just stating it seeme like it would be harder than PC game piracy as people can't put piracy software on their consoles)

It's hard to say how bad console piracy is... I don't think anyone really knows for sure. I'm inclined to think it's not all that bad of a problem myself.

We do know for sure that the industry is very healthy and has a lot of cash flow.

I think they should think in terms of piracy protections being good, but that they probably pose more harm than good if they cause inconvenience to legal consumers or invade their privacy.

I've tried to copy a PS2 disk (because someone said it can't be done) and it was not easy. I had to do alot of research for the tools and there had to be modifications to the actual console. I gave up because A) i did not even own a PS2 and B) It was possible but not worth the effort.

I can't see it being as bad as with music. It takes alot of time and effort to copy something that you could probalby rent for a few bucks. Plus if you like a game that much go buy it. show some appreciation for your fellow nerds.

Back