• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Playstation 3 DRM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Scott9027 said:
You don't need to boycott them to hurt their sales. They've done a good enough job of that on their own.

That's the truth. My father was looking at buying a new console. I'll lean him more towards the X-Box 360 if he wants something.

"...the PS3 hasn't been expressly mentioned in the patent..." from the above article link.

You guys are getting too excited over this. Companies get patents on a wide variety of technologies that go unused. You really think that a company like Sony with all its history, experience, and money would make decisions like the ones these RUMORS speak of? It's all speculation. Give it a rest.

I highly doubt they'll put this into the PS3. They've got enough competition with the XBOX 360 without crippling their own offerings.

However, I do see them using this in multiple other ways. They could use this in place of their current rootkit-DRM solution. The CD is read the first time from a specific CD Drive and that "code" may be stored in the OS? Making the CD only readable on that specific computer. I don't think they'd add this into the portable CD players because they're more worried about unauthorized copying than anything else.

Think movies and computer games as well. DRM-DVD players may record your DVD's code making it playable only on your DVD player. (Does SONY own any movie studios/production companies or whatever they're called?)

All of these prospects would be quite lame, but I wouldn't put them past them.

My question is how would this technology work. How could a disc reader be used to erase a code on a disc. I can only come up with some type of magnetic solution. Anybody else have any ideas on how this would even be acomplished?

Numbstruck said:
My question is how would this technology work. How could a disc reader be used to erase a code on a disc. I can only come up with some type of magnetic solution. Anybody else have any ideas on how this would even be acomplished?

most likely it would write a 'hardware key' onto the disc. not sure how the authentication would work though.

a MASSIVE disadvantage that the "no preowns" that pops into my mind is....If your CD becomes too dirty, or stops reading as easily, or breaks...you screwed.

Oni said:
This is still yet to be proven or implemented. Just 'cause they got a patent doesn't mean that they will implement it.
If they can do something like this they will.

I don't think this quite counts as DRM however. Well, at least not like it is used for their music. It would be legal like this as far as I can tell. Legal but still dumb as ****.

Numbstruck said:
Think movies and computer games as well. DRM-DVD players may record your DVD's code making it playable only on your DVD player. (Does SONY own any movie studios/production companies or whatever they're called?)

Yes,Sony makes movies. Have you seen the Spiderman movies? Sony.

jcw122 said:
a MASSIVE disadvantage that the "no preowns" that pops into my mind is....If your CD becomes too dirty, or stops reading as easily, or breaks...you screwed.

If that happened today with a disc you'd get the same outcome.

If they did use this on the PS3, they would have to incorporate a dvd burner into the system. How else would they write to the disk and make it only playable on the first system?

Might I remind this article is at (theinquirer) so I'm not really seeing to much truth in it. If it does turn out to be true, I'll never buy the PS3 ever not that I would anyway but that seals the deal. I don't buy Sony Products anyway now nor anything with absurd Copy Protection that causes harm or more issues then should ala Starforce. Sony is really shooting them selfs in the foot if they do that, I can see Blockbuster sueing them over it LOL.

They could require an internet connection to register games via the PS3, or the console could have onboard memory that would tell the console not to play any CD other than the original.

Right as I was burgled last week, new plan:

Now whenever anybody enters the house they will have to be fitted with a 46kg >HyperlogiK<TAG which will track their every movement, and if they wish to remain my freinds or work with me, they will have to sign a >HyperlogiK<'s personal company EULA, which allows me to install monitoring software and cameras in their house to make sure that they do not steal any of my property, and in addition an anti cheat system will be implemented to make sure that they are not talking about stealing my stuff or talking behind my back. As a result they will no longer be able to move house, and if I die the system will go offline rendering their houses unusable. Also I reserve the right to sell any personal data or film footage collected to any 3rd party, obviously as my making huge amounts of money will be in the interests of preventing copyright infringement.

TheGreySpectre said:
Is console game piracy as rampant as PC game piracy, I always thought less people pirated games for consoles than they did for PCs as was under the possibly false assupmtion that it was harder to get pirated games on to a console, like I dont think I have ever heard of anyone running pirated super smash brothers or anything since I dont see how you would get it onto the system (and please don't give me any details, im just stating it seeme like it would be harder than PC game piracy as people can't put piracy software on their consoles)

It is possible to pirate console games... even GC games. I have a buddy who's got a ton of pirated GC stuff... and they're all playable on his GC. I won't get into how he does it (there are rules after all :p).

I'll be curious to see if Sony actually carries this through. Given the source of the article, you've got to take it with a grain of salt, but hell, Sony's just as capable of stupid things as the next company. It'll be interesting to see just how far Sony's willing to go with this whole DRM thing.

Its very possible to copy console games but the level of difficulty involved is alot higher than just inserting a music CD and rip it to a pc.

I would think that there are a number of different ways to implement copy protection via hardware and software. Console's have the advantage of being very restrictive on what and who makes stuff for ther box. There has to be another way.

also if everybody copies everything where will the incentives be for new companies to open up and make new games? nobody is going to develope cutting edge games if all their gonna do is loose money.

wow.

man sony just keeps on getting worse nowdays.

heck the only thing that sony dose right anymore is headphones(best cheap headphones ever)other than that i think they are going to be gone by 2010 period.

sony seems to be going out of their way to screw themselves over and make PS3 as anti-gamer and pro-"the man"-ish as possible. First, no unified online service. Now this? Add that to the "it's going to be expensive" comment that a Sony CEO made and, well ladies and gents, we have a completely craptacular console that costs about as much as a PC, can't do half the things a PC can, doesn't have good online capabilities, can only play new games, will not have a rent-a-game market from blockbuster or anywhere, and is coming out a year from now, but is using yesterday's hardware (2 6800's...... there are 7800GTX's now... gimme a break)

Xbox 360 FTW!!!

Back