• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Playstation 3 DRM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Goodbye LAN Parties...They will loose a lot of sales because of this.
Im for sure not buying one(Not even a consideration now)

Guys, I highly recommend that you not buy anything Sony right now. If you get a DRM based system or CD, and they go out of buisness you're going to have to eat it.

Sony has been named in 3 lawsuits for their latest DRM stunt, and the damage it has caused. The only thing I can figure is they are trying to commit commercial suicide. They've done a dang good job of it so far.

Defintely Boycott Sony until they straighten up, or your wallet is going to be very empty, and so will your CD case.

3DFlyer said:
If you get a DRM based system or CD, and they go out of buisness you're going to have to eat it.

It's going to take a lot more than a few lawsuits to make SONY go out of business. We won't see it happen in our lifetime.

There's going to be more than few. Those are just the one's that have been taked about on the net. Lord only knows how much damage was done, and how mnay other are still compiling evidence. Not only did the rootkit cause irreparable damage, but a trojan (not the rootkit itself) a hacker programmed to take advantage of the rootkit exploit also caused considerable damage.

These are not your normal lawsuits. They will cost Sony 10's of millions of dollars, and it may very happen in our lifetime. Sony is not the giant people think they are. They are holding back PS3 and are not going to compete with the XBox 360 becasue they know they are in trouble.

Once the civil suits are over, the criminal charges will follow. They have violated the Internet Privacy act, as well as other serious offenses, and many groups are going to go after these companies with a vengeance that are loading this crap on peoples computers.

If these places want to continue to stay in buisness they best drop the notion that they can break people's civil liberties, and their freedom's or not only will they continue to face serious suits, and criminal charges, but they will also face not being allowed to buisness at all in the US. It's only a matter of time.

3DFlyer said:
Not only did the rootkit cause irreparable damage, but a trojan (not the rootkit itself) a hacker programmed to take advantage of the rootkit exploit also caused considerable damage.

Do you by chance have the link(s) for this information. I've been trying to keep up on this issue, but must have missed this part. :)

So they are stopping production "tempoarily". Guess they will start again when they make a new rootkit that will be harder to detect.

I currently have a PS1, PS2, and a PSP. This is where the train stops.

Sony makes a lot of promises, but doesn't keep them. I will not get the PS3.

Xbox 360, here I come!!!

guys, remember where Sony is based. It is not an American company. They are a japanese company. Over in Japan, what they have done is likely perfectly legal. However, the crux of the situation is when it hits here, and they violate OUR laws. That is what Sony has run into, and being the multi-national company they now are, they are starting to find out, I believe, that they cannot keep the Nippo-Centric worldview on how to run things. (Nippon is the Japanese word for Japan if you don't happen to know).

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=423408
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=421751

Guys do NOT trust companies that are trying to shaft us with this DRM crap! They have already proven they cannot be trusted, becasue they have already violated the Internet Privacy Act, The Internet Trust Act, and numerous other civil rights that are guaranteed in the US Constitution.

If you load this stuff onto your computer, what you have just done, is you have loaded a backdoor trojan onto your system that bypasses your Administrator priveldges, and grants level 0 priv's (Admin is level 1) to the trojan (DRM is now considered malware, and has been classified as a torjan by programmers for major AV software corporations). When that happens, you have just handed over control of your computer to any hacker who snif's you out, and you have also handed over complete control of your system and all associated hardware to the scum who wrote rootkit or the DRM measure.

This stuff is illegal! It will permently damage your hardrive, and you cannot uninstall it. The only way to rid yourself of it, is to do a full format of all infected drives. Yeah, that means you'll loose all your precious data thanks to these idiots.

They are trying to gain a monopoly buy making every user who buy s a CD buy more. They will limit the number of uses, they will not allow backups, and if a CD is lost...oh well, you buy another one. That is the whole point of this. It's nothing but a virus based scam!

Read up on this. Become vocal against this stuff. If we don't, nobody else will. The casual user does not understand computers enough to understand this stuff. We do, so do something about it. If you value your freedom, and you value your privacy at all, and you value your own property the time is now to do something about it before we won't have a say in it.

We should all chip in and send them flowers and sign it Microsoft, thanking them for their new DRM scheme. =p

Seriously, this is ridiculous. It undermines several key aspects of game play.

1) System dies, you are out every game you ever played on it.
2) You can't bring a game over and play it on a friend's console. They want us to just sit alone in our living rooms playing PS3.
3) No pre owned games, no rentals, no trades.

Absolutely no way I would consider purchasing a system with such a DRM system. Sony is getting as bad as M$ with this DRM crap.

I think they really aren't understanding their audience. When I was younger, we used to all bring games over to friends' houses. You take that social aspect out, and the accompanying pressure to own a certain console, and there's just no reason at all to buy a PS3.

TollhouseFrank said:
that they cannot keep the Nippo-Centric worldview on how to run things. (Nippon is the Japanese word for Japan if you don't happen to know).

It's unfair to claim the Japanese are in some way responsible for this. I think that what you refer to as a nippon centric world view is very similar to an armerican centric world view (Microsoft, Intel, The Big US Movie Studios) or indeed that of most other big businesses. They want to push 'trusted' computing/AV, and probably see the filesharing boom not as a threat, but as the great opportunity it is for them to control ever more tightly how we use their products.

Last edited:
i think there will be special versions for rental. it will totally obliterate used game store sales which they don't profit a bit from, according to their bean counters.

microsoft does't need to put drm on games, they arent that stupid. what they will do is implement drm in hardware and through media streaming from xp sp2/wm10 and vista. you have modded xbox 360? no soup for you as that drm enabled hdtv will not play it. you rip a dvd of its protection? no soup for you as the xbox won't play it. you rip a dvd and encode it and stream it from your pc to the xbox360? no soup for you and you might get an xbox live callback to the ms to report you to a datamine database that will flag you for future reference.

DRM won't happen overnight. DRM won't happen on initial launch. but we all know consoles last 5+ years and laws can be bought, look at microsofts slap on the wrist by the DoJ, and then implemented with patents from the year 2000.

Me... I will stick to my PC and when my games won't run on XP or Linux... I will start playing real life again. :D

MRD said:
Yeah, the US is hardly better. They're all dickwads.
Hey! :argue:

I don't belive Sony standing down on the Aires rootkit for a minute, and neither should you. I don't believe it will change until a Court slaps 'em, to be honest, 'cause that's 1) some monetary damages and 2) bad press.

Note that the LA Times STILL has not run a story on any of this filth. So it's up to us, the computer-literate, to spread the word as much as we can.

wow if this really happens ,then sony isnt just stupid the're suicidal.this would mean no rentals,no gamefly.com,no more borrowing friends games,and most importantly no resale value period.

>HyperlogiK< said:
It's unfair to claim the Japanese are in some way responsible for this. I think that what you refer to as a nippon centric world view is very similar to an armerican centric world view (Microsoft, Intel, The Big US Movie Studios) or indeed that of most other big businesses. They want to push 'trusted' computing/AV, and probably see the filesharing boom not as a threat, but as the great opportunity it is for them to control ever more tightly how we use their products.

you might be surprised at how much differently thier businesses work than ours. Sure, they have similar success, but for different reasons. Thier outlook on a great many things is different from ours.

I believe they are using thier DRM technology as a way to... 'cull the herd'. They are trying to use thier huge influence in business to shift the way things are done. Similar to VHS vs. Betamax, and HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray, DRM vs. Anti-DRM will soon be another climactic battle for how we use, access, backup, etc., all of our media.

Back