• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems connecting to DSL.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tbdub

Registered
I purchased Earthlink's DSL service. I can connect through the UHP modem just fine, but I am trying to set up a network and connect through a Linksys WRT54G (v5)

I disabled DHCP/PPPoE/NAT on the ZyXEL 645M and put it in Bridge mode. I enabled PPPoE on the router and entered the correct username and password. Keep Alive option is set to 60 seconds.

I entered two DNS servers in Static DNS 1, 2

Local connection is set to obtain automatically on IP and DNS. In internet options in control panel, it is set to never dial a connection and under LAN settings... all the boxes are unchecked.

I also used Dr. TCP to set the MTU to 1492 as was suggested at dslreports.

Does anyone have any idea how to get my router to communicate through the ZyXEL bridge? I have run out of ideas...and I am not paying earthlink $8/mo to rent me a router and provide support.

What's the problem though? Does it not let you log in via PPPoE? Do you get an error? Do you log in successfully but nothing works?

su root said:
What's the problem though? Does it not let you log in via PPPoE? Do you get an error? Do you log in successfully but nothing works?

The problem I having is connecting to the internet through the linksys router. With the Modem in bridge mode and the router running PPPoE, I cannot get an internet IP address. I get an error message when I go to the status page on the router and try to connect:

Unable to obtain IP address from Server

Okay. Obtaining an IP address would be one of the last parts of the PPPoE authentication.

I assume, since you specifically stated it, that your username & password is indeed correct... but does your router have any logs that will tell us whether the authentication was successful? Because if this is the case, then it's having an issue after the authentication, but still inside the ppp auth.

If you plug one of your computers directly into the modem, and configure it for PPPoE, can you authenticate authenticate, get an IP and surf the Internet in that configuration?

Also, try updating the firmware of your router and modem to the latest.

I got it working. The problem was with the modem. Apparantly it wasnt going into full Bridge mode. I reset it and selected a "Force option" and it started working.

Back