• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Divx movies dont play on the tv.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sephis

Avi files encoded with Divx will play fine on my mointor, but the movies are not displayed on my tv. If I set my mx440 to clone for both displays everything appears the same on the tv, the media player window even shows up, but there is no video playing on the TV. Any help? Thanks in advance guys.

Same thing happens to me when I try to play winamp videos with my MMX4000 through the s-vid.

Another reason I don't like DivX. so hard to find something what will play them properly. what was encoded on one computer may not playback the same on another system, sometimes not at all.

At risk of sounding like a stinkin commercial, I use the MediaMVP from Hauppage. For the cost of around $100., (less with newegg i believe) It will playback DivX on the tv, but at the cost of huge overhead on the processor. Mpg 1 & 2 files do very well. Infact, One compy with around 1.5Ghz can run up to 12 of them! Each on a separate Video!!

That is what I always said :) until I bought the first unit, since then I have purchased 5 more :D Always cheaper than another computer, and much quieter. (totally silent, no moving anything inside) wanting to replay videos and movies on my TVs is what prompted getting these in the first place.

try jetaudio; plays pretty much everything.

also, in video card properties, set "full screen video" to the tv, if the option is availiable.

Sephis said:
Avi files encoded with Divx will play fine on my mointor, but the movies are not displayed on my tv. If I set my mx440 to clone for both displays everything appears the same on the tv, the media player window even shows up, but there is no video playing on the TV. Any help? Thanks in advance guys.
Pretty sure video is only outputed to the primary display.

try this..open the file with media player like you normally do...go to tools..options. Then to performance..click on the advanced tab at the bottom..then uncheck "use overlays" under video acceleration and see if they play on the tv as well ;)

In order for me to get video to stream on the tv set I have to go into theater mode. As stated above, you have to use full screen video. Something about protections or somethig I think.

On my ATi I have it set for full screen. Since I don't want a tiny box to watch videos. I just have it set to full screen. On your nVidia poke around for similar settings. I had my last card running on the TV et, but the breakout box would not do color for some reason. So I forgot the exact settings.

I think once you find the right setting it will work. I have done video on every card that had the TV out. It is just one ticked box away from working.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.gif
    Untitled-1.gif
    12 KB · Views: 136
i had the same problem but i figured it out this is what you have to do.
go to control panel > display > settings > advance.

click on the geforce tab and menu should open up where you have the option to clone in the nview settings.

a few options below the nview tab you should see a full screen video tab, click on that ,then click on the option that shows full screen device to secondary display and that should do it.

Attachments

• SP32-20051112-121728.jpg
    SP32-20051112-121728.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 135
buckbadly said:
try this..open the file with media player like you normally do...go to tools..options. Then to performance..click on the advanced tab at the bottom..then uncheck "use overlays" under video acceleration and see if they play on the tv as well ;)
I'd definatly try this. 99% of the time I have problems with video not displaying (be it a screenshot, a tv, or even my secondary monitor) it's courtesy of overlays. Disable them and I'd bet that you're golden :)

If it dosen't work, try disabling ALL acceleration (any system from the past 5 years should be powerful enough to play DivX without acceleration :D) by dragging the video acceleration bar all the way to the left.

JigPu

cruzinmitsu's method worked for me. Now I can watch Winamp video streams from my MX4000 card on TV :thup:

Yeah, it's the overlay. By default, the system only sends overlay to one display. It actually has to do with a limitation of the overlay itself. You can only have one. That's why if you have extended desktop enabled, only one of the displays can get the overlay, generally whichever one it's started on.

I actually much prefer the way Nvidia handles the overlay over ATI. With ATI if you want the full screen video on the second display (which I generally do when it's hooked to my TV), you have to be in clone mode. Nvidia doesn't care and will send it full screen to the TV in either clone or extended desktop modes. There's no reason ATI CAN'T do that, they just choose not to. *shrug*

Sephis, let us know what worked for ya for those that may experience the same problem in the future. :)

buckbadly said:
Sephis, let us know what worked for ya for those that may experience the same problem in the future. :)
I had the exact same problem. The nVidia answer is in the overlay controls as previouly posted.

Sorry bout not posting back. I was at home with no internet. Anywho, disabling overlays fixed me right up. So thanks for the suggestions guys.

Back