• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AGP 4x limitations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hydrata

I just upgraded from a ti4200 to a 6800gt in my aging system, cause i got a good deal. my mobo only supports up to agp4x though. i was just wondering how much of a performance hit you guys think i'm taking only being able to run my new bad boy in 4x mode, and not the 8x it was made for.

I second that, even in higher powered systems the gain from 4x to 8x isn't that much. You'd probably benifit more from a faster cpu.

hmm, i guess i need to look for a cheap upgrade for my CPU then, any idea on what my mobo would be able to support? when i bought it, it only listed up to 2200+ xp's (remember those days?) i guess i need to figure out how to flash my bios.

I have done benchmarks with my 6600gt at 8x and 4x. The difference was about 20 points in 3dmark03. As stated above, CPU speed will be a bigger bottleneck.

Cpu speed will only be a bottleneck if your running a game with low settings, once you cranck the settings up, the cpu is able to supply that video card with all the data it needs. So instead of getting 400fps at low settings with a better cpu you'll get let say 300fps with your current cpu, but once you crank the settings up there shouldn't be any bottleneck.

Avg said:
Cpu speed will only be a bottleneck if your running a game with low settings, once you cranck the settings up, the cpu is able to supply that video card with all the data it needs. So instead of getting 400fps at low settings with a better cpu you'll get let say 300fps with your current cpu, but once you crank the settings up there shouldn't be any bottleneck.

Yep, I agree. I'm using a relic right now:Soltek s462 w/ XP1600 Pali @ 1.75Ghz, 1gb of ram and a GF4 Ti4600. So far I can run UT2k4 and RTCW @ med settings. Evry once in a while I get the "oh my gawd this is too much" stutter, lol.

k, thanks for the info guys...any idea on what kinda cpu my mobo would be able to take...should i stick to athlonxp's, or think it would accept a mobile barton?

As others have said, effectively irrelevant. Cards can't even saturate 4x AGP. It's just not an issue.

Back