• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flashing BIOS causes loss of overclock???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hydrata

Last night I flashed my BIOS in anticipation of buying a new CPU soon. As you can see in my sig, my system is kind of dated. Well, I flashed the BIOS and everything went fine, but when i try to run the computer at the FSB speed I ran it at before I flashed, the computer was no longer stable, lockin on bootup. Have other people had this problem? Am I just screwed or is ther something I can do?

Its possible that the new BIOS contains additional settings that your old BIOS didn't have

Options like Thermal Throttling were added to some BIOS updates in some older boards - if this isn't de-activated it might cause issues like you're experiencing.

Go through your current BIOS & see if you can spot new options

You can always re-flash back to the previous BIOS if you can't resolve the problem

Good Luck!

Regards, Balrog

BIOS code varies man, so different bios versions can do better or worse when overclocking.
For a given board you may be able to find info as to which BIOS versions give better overclocking performance.

I do have another question though:
did you flash while overclocked?

While this is USUALLY not a problem, at least not unless you are on the edge of stability, it is not a great idea.
You may want to go down to default settings and re-flash to see if that helps.

i did flash while overclocked...i didn't know that was an issue....i guess i'll take it down to stock speeds and try again....question though, how do i go back to my old BIOS cause this new one is really ****ing me off, and i'm gonna switch back if i have no luck.

Just like you can have problems with too high of an overclock while running, it can cause issues when flashing a bios too.
Not exactly common, as I said, but if the system "hiccups" due to the oc while flashing, weird things can happen. Up to a corrupt and unusable bios.
Note that if the overclock is truly 100% stable and has NO issues, any problems are unlikely, but.................

Flashing back to an old bios is just like flashing a new one: just use the older bios when selecting what version to use.
(Note that I don't use windows and wouldn't flash a mobo inside an os even if I did. I do it the old-fashioned way, with a floppy disk.)

ok, i tried flashing again w/ the default mobo settings, and i'm still having no luck getting back to my previous overclock...so i want to go back to my previous BIOS, but i'm still a little confused as to how. and i did flash the old school way through a floppy.

dammit, i made a msdos bootdisk, and but it won't let me switch from the a drive to the c drive....i'm typing "c:<enter>" wtf am i doin wrong

hydrata said:
...so i want to go back to my previous BIOS, but i'm still a little confused as to how. and i did flash the old school way through a floppy.

Ok, you have a bootdisk and you're back at stock settings.

Go back out to the msi archive page and grab the BIOS you want. Just grab awd flash again, too. Looks like it might all be bundled in the zip file. What BIOS did you use to update, btw?

Reboot w/your bootdisk. Pull it out, put the BIOS disk in, run the flash utility and that *should* do it.

Last edited:
Back