• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buying a new mobo, questions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cjwinnit

B&
Thinking of buying a Gigabyte 8ipe1000g. A few questions:
  • Can dual channel boards run with one stick of RAM? Can this board?
  • Is a 478-pin P4 Northwood A going to run in it?
  • Can SATA be disabled in the BIOS?
  • What's the BIOS like? Overclockable? Option city?

Had similar questions about the same board, also wondering if the RAM is backwards compatable? I have a gig of PC2700 here, and I'd hate it to go to waste if this board HAS to have 3200.

You can not run dual channel with 1 stick of RAM. P4A should run in it. I do not have this machine, but I would make the assumption you could disable the SATA in the bios.

I am sure you can overclock it. It's a P4. :p

As for the 3200 -> 2700 mem speed. You never NEED to match the bus speed. Your machine will not hit maximum performance, but we are talking about RAM. There will not be a noticable difference. Your PI calcs will prolly be off by 1-3s.

If you have a mobo which supports up to 3200 you can use anything below it. However, there is some 'cheap' RAM, which at times, mobos will not work with. The manufacturer _usually_ has information on which RAM modules work with their hardware.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, the 2700 I have here are 2 512mb sticks of Kingston. So I should be okay, if not, 3200 is cheap enough right now :p

Back