• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

have my platinum rev2 already gone bad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yoshpop

To keep the story short, last sunday the power went out in my complex for a hot second (power spike?) and I go to turn my computer on yesterday and nothing happens. I eventully had to clear the cmos for it to power up. Once I booted up I realized xp was corrupt beyond belief so I go to reinstall it and my computer crashes a few times. I realized it was the burnt CD's fault because previous CD's from the computer I used were all corrupt. However once I finally got XP installed properly I go into the BIOS to setup my previous settings (check sig). Once I do this windows fails to boot and of course BSOD. Even 2250MHz failed to boot into windows with the 166 divider. I messed around with every possible setting in the BIOS that could have an impact and still no go. I finally set the memory divider to 133 and of course I'm sitting here typing this at 2.6 Ghz. My question is, did my platinum2's get dominated from that power spike, or did the memory controller on my cpu get dominated.

EDIT: 2.5-3-3-5 works running the 166 divider..I guess I can't push the mem as hard now

Last edited:
I suppose it could be either one. Have you got any other parts to test ? Or a friend with an A64 or P4 rig you could test the memory in ? I would suspect the memory before the CPU.

J.

I have had the exact same problem and it was the MSI board that messed everything up. There is omethink wrong with the design of the board and when you just turn the power on at the wall, it can mess everythink up.

I ended up buying new memory and i got my mobo replaced.

Yea my MSI board is refurbished so I'm sure it's a little shaky. As of now it's completely stable at 2.5-3-3-5 which is fine enough for me because I really don't like having to deal with the bull**** of RMA'ing a board to MSI and memory to OCZ.

i didn't get my memory replaced they said it was my own fault lol, i couldn't be bothered to try and get MSI to cover it.

Back