• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Folding and Dual core?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brinnswift

I have a new rig with the 3800+ and folding will only use one of the cores. Is there a way to get it to use both cores? Thanks

You need to set up a second folder with the console version in it; since the present client isn't SMP aware you have to run 2 clients. When you set the second client up, assign it a different machine ID under advanced properties if you set up manually like I do. Someone else can help you out if you use the Wedo one click install method.

I just upgraded my Epox machine to an X2 4400 and it's presently processing a p1481 and a p1149 at almost 900 points/day average. :D

Brinnswift said:
I have a new rig with the 3800+ and folding will only use one of the cores. Is there a way to get it to use both cores? Thanks

I just installed my 3800, got the one-click for duallies; but i was wondering if there is a way to further optimize my computer? Assign one core for large wu's and the other for small ones? I dunno, hence my post.

White Runner said:
I just installed my 3800, got the one-click for duallies; but i was wondering if there is a way to further optimize my computer? Assign one core for large wu's and the other for small ones? I dunno, hence my post.
by changing the config files and set one to bigpackets=yes and the other to no. but thats about it.

one thing i noticed is that when my pc starts up... both folding programs do as well... any idea how to keep them from starting right away?

White Runner said:
one thing i noticed is that when my pc starts up... both folding programs do as well... any idea how to keep them from starting right away?
well that happens because they are set up to run as a service.. which is actually helpful in most cases... if you dont mind me asking, why wouldnt you want it this way?

DManeKid said:
well that happens because they are set up to run as a service.. which is actually helpful in most cases... if you dont mind me asking, why wouldnt you want it this way?

I just installed a new processor, and when am workin on overclocking, it gets tiring to have to stop both processes... When i am satisfied with my overclock and stable, then i wont have a problem with em both starting.....

Brinnswift said:

Sure, you can switch to Berkeley's BOINC software (that will let you choose as many cores as you have--up to 16, I think).... and then run either Predictor@home or Rosetta@home.

This will not get you any credits for Team 32, but will let you work with protien folding nonetheless... There are many other Overclockers.com BOINC teams too... ;)

Morpheus said:
Sure, you can switch to Berkeley's BOINC software (that will let you choose as many cores as you have--up to 16, I think).... and then run either Predictor@home or Rosetta@home.

This will not get you any credits for Team 32, but will let you work with protien folding nonetheless... There are many other Overclockers.com BOINC teams too... ;)

Unless aliens have an almighty cure, im gonna stick with folding for now but thank you for the info :)

White Runner said:
I just installed a new processor, and when am workin on overclocking, it gets tiring to have to stop both processes... When i am satisfied with my overclock and stable, then i wont have a problem with em both starting.....

Run services.msc and set FAH services to manual. Set them to automatic when you've got a stable oc you plan to stick with.

White Runner said:
Unless aliens have an almighty cure, im gonna stick with folding for now but thank you for the info :)

errr... methinks these are all BOINC projects... I run 3 on my system at all times...

Predictor@home: investigate protein-related diseases
Rosetta@home: help researchers develop cures for human diseases
Climateprediction.net: study climate change
Einstein@home: search for gravitational signals emitted by pulsars
LHC@home: improve the design of the CERN LHC particle accelerator
SETI@home: Look for radio evidence of extraterrestrial life
Cell Computing biomedical research (Japanese; requires nonstandard client software)
World Community Grid: advance our knowledge of human disease. (Requires 5.2.1 or greater)

As you can see there are four different projects working with diseases and cures... ;)

I like the World Community Grid which is sponsored by IBM and United Devices. It is a generalized grid framework which can be used for a variety of scientific tasks. Currently, it supports just one task: the analysis of human proteome folding. This project differs from Folding@Home in that the Human Proteome project is focusing on the science of protein folding and not simply the assessment of specific diseases.

Last edited:
Back