• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel 640 vs 820D??? (3.2ht vs 2.8 dual core)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

warlock072

Hi guys

I having trouble choosing between these 2 processors!
The intel 640 which is a single core, Hyper-threading 3.2Ghz Cpu with 2m cache VS an intel 820 2.8Ghz dual core with 2 x 1m cache and no HT!

Could you please help me choose which one would benifit me???
and why??? if possible some technical info will help too??? And some benches would too!? :shrug:
i use my pc mostly for games and some work!!!lol

Thanks

first of all WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

and second, what Vio said. it all depends on how much you plan on overclocking. do you have much OC experience? if not, i would for SURE go with the 6xx. it will give you an easy OC into 4-4.4ghZ territory, and will be nice and stable, provided you use a nice heatsink.

if you are familiar with overclocking, and can handle the extra work a 8xx will taked to oc, then by all means go for that. it could hit 3.6-4ghz if you know what you are doing. actually, i might look at the 830 over the 820, as loots of pple seem to be having great results with them.

Yes the single core will overclock to about 10% faster than the dual core.

BUT is 10% worth it? With the Pentium D you are getting TWO processors!

Nearly ALL software now is Multi-Threaded (takes full advatage of two cores), with the single exception of games.

iTunes, Photoshop, 3ds max, Maya, Windows Media Encoder, etc, they will all fly with two cores.

As an example, I recently got the new Video iPod. Its a lot of fun and I love it. To play video on it you either buy from the iTunes Store (limited selection and protected) or encode your own easily.

You can encode TV shows, DVDs, home videos, etc. It is all very easy with QuickTime 7 Pro. BUT it is very time consuming.

As an example a one hour TV show takes about 5-6 hours to encode on a SINGLE CORE Pentium 4 (with HT), but will take only 2-3 hours to encode on a DUAL CORE Pentium D.

Please do the right thing - two brains are better than one...

I have a P4 640, Tomorrow I will have an 820D. The 640 OC'd to 4.2Ghz without much effort with watercooling. I did slap an XP90C on it just for a comparison and it did run warmer but was stable at the same clocks. Later this weekend, I will be able to tell you how the 820D does in comparison.

I just recently switched to an 820d with the new asrock 775 dual mobo(kt880pro). I came from a venice a64 @2.5ghz this 820d is faster in certain ways and slower in others. Everyday WinXp stuff is much faster because wheather you know it or not you are always multitasking (see processes in Windows Task Manager). Video editing is sweet with this thing. Gaming is much slower. my 3d01 scores fell from 23k to 20k. Previous to the a64 I was using a 3.0e prescott @ 3.75ghz and the A64 was faster that that in everyway possible.

For the first time in as long as I can remember Intel finally has a chip that is extremely cost effective as well as signigantly faster than amd. I purchased my 820d for $165 on ebay and the asrock mobo cost $54 @ the egg. the 8xx have got a bad wrap because of heat issues, because of this they are pretty cheap. Go for the 820d.

well im not really gonna oc just yet, i'm firstly gonna need a new cpu cooler then i'll take on that! Im a gamer so i doubt the dual core would benefit me! or would it???
thanks for the info guys???

warlock072 said:
well im not really gonna oc just yet, i'm firstly gonna need a new cpu cooler then i'll take on that! Im a gamer so i doubt the dual core would benefit me! or would it???
thanks for the info guys???

Dual cores are beginning to gain traction. Nvidia's 81.xx drivers take advantage of dual and ATI promises support in the future. Some newer games appear to be taking advantage and as Leica pointed out there are programs that support dual cores. There may come a time when it is a disadvantage to not have dual cores but that will probably be way in the future.

Heat is more of a challenge with dual core, I will have mine later today to confirm but just looking at the specs and other peoples experiences cooling is an area that can't be taken lightly. The 640 OC'd is pretty easy to deal with the heat and power requirements but I know the 820 will be a challenge. I know that you are not planning to OC right away until you upgrade your cooling but I mention this because, for myself, I cannot see the point of hitting the power switch if it is not OC'd. :D

I don't know if the lack of HT will make a difference on the dual core, that is something that I will know later today.

Back