• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIG warning about 144/146/148 Opterons

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
that is the stupidest thing i've ever heard. AMD is going to lose LOTS of money if they do that given the number of people loving the opterons right now. wow...server limitations...thats so stupid...

anyway, let's hope NOT for the sake of all the people that want one! however i wil be just fine with my 3500+ Clawhammer when it arrives late next week :D

WingsofGOD said:
Like he's gonna name names? Probably allready said more than he is "supposed" to...
Thus the contradiction.

If this person really is a dealer or distributor of some sort, then he's sunk himself by divulging information that AMD considers priveleged. (There has been no AMD press release on this topic as of the time of this post.) The same deal goes for if he's heard it from sources 'inside'.

I smell something bad. Not even that bastion of journalistic malpractice The Inquirer has anything on this.

This is nothing but speculative flummery at the moment.

Intresting watching to see what happens here :) I don't mind them not selling them anymore I already got my chip :)

If it becomes ture, these CPU's will be the ones that actually might retain value, like my IC7-G did. Retail price on that only dropped $20 in the 2 years I've owned it.

I guess the guy started it is some dealer want to pump up some demand this chip so they can jack up the price... :beer:

Speculation and possibilities are too infinite to worry about. Now an empty glass, that's the concrete here and now which must be addressed.:)

I highly doubt they'll lose a LOT of money by pulling Opterons and limiting them to server ITs and stuff. Us people that actually by Opterons are to OC them and for better performance, which probably make up a really tiny portion of their sales, I doubt that we could actually affect their profits at all. It's just probably that there might be a small growing percentage of people that stopped buying A64s and X2s, and they might expect that small percentage to grow and maybe even OEM manufactors will start using Opterons over X2s, because of lower volts=better temps.

Which processor should I get then if the Opteron 144s, 146s and 148s get taken off of the shelves? Because they likely are going to be before I even have a chance to purchase an upgrade!! :confused:

RJARRRPCGP said:
Which processor should I get then if the Opteron 144s, 146s and 148s get taken off of the shelves? Because they likely are going to be before I even have a chance to purchase an upgrade!! :confused:
I think you are way ahead of yourself. I suggest you just wait and see what's available when the time comes. Personally, I doubt AMD is going to pull the plug on Opteron distribution but in time we'll see.

I don't believe this at all. Why would AMD just suddenly pull Opterons from retail channels after selling them to everyone over the last couple years. This would be a bad business decision, and OC'ers are such a small minority that I can't believe that we would affect AMD to such an extent that they would only sell Opterons to system integrators.

Links? Sources?

I don't think the enthusiast market is big enough to warrant such a drastic policy shift. But, who knows what AMD is thinking. Its all guesswork pending an official statement from somebody :)

The opteron 144+ series was like a chrismas present to anyone who bought it....cheap *** proc that overclocks like hell...what the hell was AMD thinking in the first place that no one would realize that they are getting = to an fx at a fraction of the price?

If they do this they basically just letting us know go dually...its the wave of the future and they wont have future support for single cores soon...

If confirmed, this is bad news for those who want a great 939 single core chip.

I hope this doesn't spread over to the dual core Denmark Opterons.

Although it is unlikely - none of us can outright say its not going to happen. It will remain a possibility and all we can really do is speculate. But all the speculations wont give us concrete details - we'll just have to wait and see.

IF this did come from AMD it also could be just some marketing trick- if they're making good money on optys (don't kn0w if they do) , tricking people into buying a lot of them now could get them a significant boost. Because I know most people around OC forums(I know that's the name for this forum but when I said it I meant not specifically this one but ones in general) have had their eyes on the opty for quite some time now but without incentive to buy them. I think that if someone in AMD did say something - its just to fill the incentive above.

That's just my idea - in the mean time, I'm definitely not going to get paranoid and worry about getting one.

They just released these so I'm gonna call total BS on this one. Most likely this information is given by a source that has a reason to profit from it. AKA a reseller of these chips. No company, even AMD in their stupidity is moronic enough to cancel a product that is a phenominal seller less than 3 months after the introduction. Fact remains enthusiasts are such a small portion of the market we hardly even register a blip on the rradar scale. AMD can't even figure out how to market their own chips effectively. Then again, this might also explain thier total stupidity in everything.

325cic said:
I guess the guy started it is some dealer want to pump up some demand this chip so they can jack up the price... :beer:

You know it's funny, a big part of me didn't want to post this at all because I *knew* people would think that.

To prove otherwise though, I point out two big things:

1.) I was already out of stock when I posted it. i.e. I didn't have anything to gain by making people rush out and buy them
2.) If you go to my store, you'll see my prices are exactly the same now as they were a week ago, even on the 165's which I *do* have coming in.

So please don't think I made this thread to scare people into buying... because I've not put myself in a position to gain anything from that. My entire point was that I know some people were still on the fence, and I wanted to warn you guys in case you still wanted one. That way, you may still be able to buy one from ANYWHERE while you still can.

I also repeat that I'm still not positive that this is true, I'm waiting to hear more info. I don't have any source I can cite or anything, this is just rumors I've been hearing. This wasn't privileged information I got from my AMD rep or anything for which I signed an NDA. It's entirely possible that I shouldn't have mentioned this, but I thought you would all want to know :)

Finally, I can see why AMD would be doing this. As many have mentioned, the Opterons are better than the A64's and yet they are cheaper... so I imagine sales of the A64 have plummeted. Yes, the enthusiast market is semi small, but you must also note that these things are sold out everywhere, meaning that there are at least enough people buying these to blow out inventory everywhere, so it can't be *that* small of a market. Finally, the Opterons are server grade chips, and it's important for AMD to maintian the great image of these chips as "server" parts, elsewise they lose some allure to the SI's. By having these chips out to the retail market, they kill thier A64 line, and tarnish the image fo the Opteron... both of which are bad ideas. You could argue that they should just raise the price of them, but let's not forget people were still happily buying the 146's for $230.

In any case, I'm still not sure this is true so it's merely speculation at this point. I sure hope it's not true, but we'll see.

Sometimes I wonder how big the enthusiast market is. Considering you can hardly find one anywhere it must be pretty big don't you think?

Super Nade said:
Links? Sources?

I don't think the enthusiast market is big enough to warrant such a drastic policy shift. But, who knows what AMD is thinking. Its all guesswork pending an official statement from somebody :)

I paid $190 for a 146 with 2 day fedex, came to $202.

I really wanted a 144 but mwave was the only place that had then and for $178, so I figured for $12 more I will buy me a 10x multi lol.

I really had my heart set on a 165 but I cant swing that right now. Knowing me I'll grab one anyway in a couple weeks :bang head

Back