• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIG warning about 144/146/148 Opterons

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
TankGuys said:
You know it's funny, a big part of me didn't want to post this at all because I *knew* people would think that.

To prove otherwise though, I point out two big things:

1.) I was already out of stock when I posted it. i.e. I didn't have anything to gain by making people rush out and buy them
2.) If you go to my store, you'll see my prices are exactly the same now as they were a week ago, even on the 165's which I *do* have coming in.
You tend to contradict yourself in the above by the below
So please don't think I made this thread to scare people into buying... because I've not put myself in a position to gain anything from that. My entire point was that I know some people were still on the fence, and I wanted to warn you guys in case you still wanted one. That way, you may still be able to buy one from ANYWHERE while you still can.

I also repeat that I'm still not positive that this is true, I'm waiting to hear more info. I don't have any source I can cite or anything, this is just rumors I've been hearing. This wasn't privileged information I got from my AMD rep or anything for which I signed an NDA. It's entirely possible that I shouldn't have mentioned this, but I thought you would all want to know :)
Actually, I don't give much credibility to vendos in general, so if I'm quite hard on you, do forgive me. The fact that you are a member of some sort of vending firm does not help your credibility in my eyes. But this is the sort of pseudonews that tends to cause a momentary panic in the market, causing the appropriate jump in prices. One vendor is not sufficient.

See also the recent Katrina/Rita oil price jump, and any time there's any speculation in the oil market, price goes up. Thus the quite skeptical eye.
Finally, I can see why AMD would be doing this. As many have mentioned, the Opterons are better than the A64's and yet they are cheaper... so I imagine sales of the A64 have plummeted. Yes, the enthusiast market is semi small, but you must also note that these things are sold out everywhere, meaning that there are at least enough people buying these to blow out inventory everywhere, so it can't be *that* small of a market. Finally, the Opterons are server grade chips, and it's important for AMD to maintian the great image of these chips as "server" parts, elsewise they lose some allure to the SI's. By having these chips out to the retail market, they kill thier A64 line, and tarnish the image fo the Opteron... both of which are bad ideas. You could argue that they should just raise the price of them, but let's not forget people were still happily buying the 146's for $230.
I don't really see how some people who use the Opteron on their desktop would 'tarnish its image'--in fact, it demonstrates that AMD has produced a versatile CPU. Quite the opposite, IMO.

In any case, I'm still not sure this is true so it's merely speculation at this point. I sure hope it's not true, but we'll see.
Rumors...are just that. Rumors. Quite speculative.

see people buying them for appx 180, and selling them on ebay for 250...that isn't ripoff?

!

Captain Newbie said:
You tend to contradict yourself in the above by the below

I see your point, I worded it wrong. Though if you note the thread title, I mentioned the 14x series, not the 165s :) The 14x series are the ones I'm talking about.

Captain Newbie said:
Actually, I don't give much credibility to vendos in general, so if I'm quite hard on you, do forgive me.

No biggy, I know where you're comming from.

Captain Newbie said:
The fact that you are a member of some sort of vending firm does not help your credibility in my eyes.

Actually, I'm the owner :p Though I would hope if you look back at any of my previous posts, or ask anyone who has purchased from us in the past, you'd find we're probobly one of the most honest vendors out there. I'd hoped that track record would make it clear that my thread wasn't to drive prices up. You'd also find that when every other store was price gouging on the 14x series chips, we were not. You're right though, I don't necessarily have any "credibility" in the sense that I can't verify that this is actually happening with the opterons. As I stated, it's rumor, and we agree, rumors are just that!

Captain Newbie said:
But this is the sort of pseudonews that tends to cause a momentary panic in the market, causing the appropriate jump in prices. One vendor is not sufficient. See also the recent Katrina/Rita oil price jump, and any time there's any speculation in the oil market, price goes up. Thus the quite skeptical eye.

Yep, this news may cause other places prices to jump, which is why I'm telling you guys now so you can buy while they are still cheap. I'd also point out again that our prices haven't jumped :)

Captain Newbie said:
I don't really see how some people who use the Opteron on their desktop would 'tarnish its image'--in fact, it demonstrates that AMD has produced a versatile CPU. Quite the opposite, IMO.

For sure, it does demonstrate a versatility, and helps in that sense. The thing is, that's *not* what AMD likely wants for the opteron. These chips are supposed to be billed as thier top offering for servers. There needs to be that distinction; they want to give the appearance of having a great server chip, not a jack of all trades. Then again, that brings up the question of why AMD ported it to the 939 platform and removed the registered memory requirement in the first place.

The thing is, I really don't know the real reasons AMD would do this, and I don't know if it's true. I was just trying to let people know just in case, that's all.

I was browsing the AMD Support forums, but nobody came up with a concrete statement. I've decided to skip SC's for now. Next purchase would be a DC Opteron :)

If you guys noticed, Dell now sells Opterons as well but they don't sell (officially) AMD based PC's. If AMD pull the plug on retail/O.E.M Opterons, they could lose a bit of money as it seems (I have no concrete proof), Dell customers have been clamouring for Opteron based servers. So, you may be able to get them at Dell, if not anywhere else. I'm not sure if Opterons would cannabalize A64/FX sales as HP and other OEM's still constitute a big chunk of the sales. I don't think they would ever switch S939 Opteron's for A64's :D

TankGuys said:
You know it's funny, a big part of me didn't want to post this at all because I *knew* people would think that.

To prove otherwise though, I point out two big things:

1.) I was already out of stock when I posted it. i.e. I didn't have anything to gain by making people rush out and buy them
2.) If you go to my store, you'll see my prices are exactly the same now as they were a week ago, even on the 165's which I *do* have coming in.

So please don't think I made this thread to scare people into buying... because I've not put myself in a position to gain anything from that. My entire point was that I know some people were still on the fence, and I wanted to warn you guys in case you still wanted one. That way, you may still be able to buy one from ANYWHERE while you still can.

I also repeat that I'm still not positive that this is true, I'm waiting to hear more info. I don't have any source I can cite or anything, this is just rumors I've been hearing. This wasn't privileged information I got from my AMD rep or anything for which I signed an NDA. It's entirely possible that I shouldn't have mentioned this, but I thought you would all want to know :)

Finally, I can see why AMD would be doing this. As many have mentioned, the Opterons are better than the A64's and yet they are cheaper... so I imagine sales of the A64 have plummeted. Yes, the enthusiast market is semi small, but you must also note that these things are sold out everywhere, meaning that there are at least enough people buying these to blow out inventory everywhere, so it can't be *that* small of a market. Finally, the Opterons are server grade chips, and it's important for AMD to maintian the great image of these chips as "server" parts, elsewise they lose some allure to the SI's. By having these chips out to the retail market, they kill thier A64 line, and tarnish the image fo the Opteron... both of which are bad ideas. You could argue that they should just raise the price of them, but let's not forget people were still happily buying the 146's for $230.

In any case, I'm still not sure this is true so it's merely speculation at this point. I sure hope it's not true, but we'll see.

then again, I was just kidding with u... :attn: :santa:

so will dual core 939 opterons be affected? as iv been considering an opteron 170....as they seem to do 2.8ghz on air no probs...

could it be that AMD does not have or does not want to spend the resources to supply a market for which the product was not designed, especially with such a huge on rush demand? last thing they want to do is warrenty a bunch of overclocked fried opertons i supose, because people rma their stuff anyways.

and nathan i just did a search at the egg and found 5 single core 939pin opertons oem and retail, so they havent been pulled yet.

God , Iam still awaiting my 146 order . May cancel my 146 order and opt for a 165/170 just incase ..... (hard to do with $Christmas$ around the corner )

stereo555 said:
God , Iam still awaiting my 146 order . May cancel my 146 order and opt for a 165/170 just incase ..... (hard to do with $Christmas$ around the corner )

I wouldn't cancel it but thats just me. I mean there is no confirmation at all that this is true or set in stone.

Hey, you're in Menifee! My girlfriend is from there :)

they never had 144's and I never heard of 145.

funny thing is their retail 148 is $235 and their retail 146 which was there yesterday was $245 lmao

Hrm, interesting rumour.
However, it doesn't make much sense, since the 939 Opterons:
-Improve AMD's image
-Get people to sell off their older systems to get one. So they actually aren't losing any money versus making them buy 3700+/4000+/FX.

It would suck, however, if they really did pull them off shelves.

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense but it also doesn't make sense that Tankguys would just say this to increase the amount of money he's going to make. Heck, as he said, he doesn't even have any of the single cores in.

I think it's pretty smart on AMDs part, Huge interest and selling every piece they got since September. Feel a large portion of the nerd market was disappointed in our 3700/4000's. (All hopin for the magic 3GHz but few of them could hit it)

Slow down availability of 14X series and sell more Opty Duals.
M2's a'comin. Got turn that inventory.

I want to say I purchased my 146 from tankguys and the service was awesome.
Answered numerous emails same day. Good feedback on what was happening.
I will be back to his site for more I assure you.

AMD, tankguys and a Opteron 146 CAYBE 0540FPBW got me similin'.
3002cpuz.JPG

3002cpuMem.JPG

3002.JPG

You guys also have to realize overclockers are a very SMALL portion of the market. So its not like everyone is going go go out, get an s939 Opty and oc it till it is like a sandy. Infact most of the market for opterons, and any CPU for that matter, is people who willdo literally nothingwith the clocks. My college for instance just bought 150 new PCs. A64 3500+, Asus mobo with AGP, radeon 9600 pro cards etc. Those machines will run till they die, and NEVER have a different clock.

Huge businesses outnumber us many times. For every overclocker out there, there might be a company buying 1000 workstations for their company. AMD isn't sitting there, thinking of us. Thinking "****! The overclockers are Ocing our optys! pull em out!" Far from it.

If they will pull it from the market, it will be for another reason. Like lack os interest from businesses like HP, sun, etc.

And I don't know why you guys are turning on Tankguys. Wether he profits from this message or not, he has plenty right to speak his mind. Wether the board admins want him to or not is not my problem. If he did make that post, and then put a link to his website, and maybe say something like "buy them fast guys!" then sure, he'd probably be doing it for the money. But he didn't. Infact I didn't even know he was a source of AMD cpus until you guys started raggin on him.

So calm down boys, let it be, and go about yer business.

Back