• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIG warning about 144/146/148 Opterons

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Overclocker550 said:
makes sense. amd is losing money when people buy a $150 operton instead of a $400 san diego
Nope, the profit margin will still be exactly the same. Net dollars may be less but they still turn the same percentage of profit.

O.K, I made a mistake in my earlier post. Dell are not selling Opterons. So that is out of the equation. The only Athlons they seem to be carrying are 3700, FX and X2's.

When do you think lower end DC Opterons will be released?

Rbreb13 said:
Nope, the profit margin will still be exactly the same. Net dollars may be less but they still turn the same percentage of profit.

Same percentage of profit... ok lets see... lets say percentage of profit is 10%. So if they sell one $150 cpu... AMD gets $15. If they sell a $400 cpu, they get $40. Now times that by 100,000 and see which ones you'd rather sell? If this isn't what you meant, you probably meant same cash profit, not percentage.

I heard a rumor that every time someone buys an OPTERON for a desktop PC instead of a server , that AMD kills a kitten... I hope this isn't true... :eek:

Last edited:
lordkosc said:
I head a rumor that every time someone buys an OPTERON for a desktop PC instead of a server , that AMD kills a kitten... I hope this isn't true... :eek:

LOL

Considering the Opty is realitively New. I highly doubt AMD didn't have any Idea what they were doing when they put the Opty's out on the Market. Yeah the Opty's are priced a bit less and perform better. They make their sells on Selling Quantitly so if the Opty is better chip for Cheaper More people will buy it as opposed to the AMD64. When 10,000 people buy a $200-300 and only 2,500 can afford to buy a $400-500 chip then Sales are about even. I've never heard of a company Discontinuing a product that is a HOT seller.
HOT Sellers that are cheap will net more than expensive non-Hot items everytime.
Well just my opinion...and a crappy one at that...considering I JUST woke up and am not totally awake yet.

Captain Newbie said:
Heh. No, every time you buy an Opteron for a server instead of a Xeon, Intel kills a kitten. They've got their desktop market sewn up pretty firmly with the P4/D.

Intell kills kittens for fun , they don't even need are reason! :eh?: They are EVIL....

lordkosc said:
Intell kills kittens for fun , they don't even need are reason! :eh?: They are EVIL....

all I know is if my 146 doesnt do 3ghz I'm selling it and I;m going looking for kittens myself.

IT makes perfect sense

This is, from a buissness stand point, the best thing that AMD could do right now. The Dual core opterons a beating the crap out of the X2s that AMD had i high hopes for doing ver well but now with that huge market taken away by the dual core opterons that are clocking way higher with more cache and the best part, CHEAPER. It does make perfect sense you guys just stand back and look. Who here would rather pay 750$ for an opteron 180 rather then 900$ for an X2 4800. Same stock everything, but one is selling like hot cakes and the other isnt. For a loss of 150$ per chip i would do it too if i was the AMD CEO. It totally sucks but it does make perfect sense. Lets just hope that there isnt a price jump or a removal of the new opterons.

lordkosc said:
Damnit! Why didn't I buy an Intel? I feel like I need to support a company that kills the dog's mortal enemy.

Well, just ordered myself an opteron 146. Been thinking about it 4 a while, and now I made up my mind. Got one 4 about $180. They cost almost the same as a 3200

I heard a rumor that every time someone buys an OPTERON for a desktop PC instead of a server , that AMD kills a kitten... I hope this isn't true...
LOL :santa:

AMD could use BOB BARKER as their spokes person, ' Buy an AMD OPTERON and help control the kitten population!"
1089.gif
sterb171.gif

Back