• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIG warning about 144/146/148 Opterons

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, us oc-ers might be a small market, but I bet we are bigger than the market the 14x opties were aimed at. That would explain why they are so hard to find. Probably made a few to lure some over from the dark side. Then woke up to find them sold out and sales of the mainstream chips canabalized. Although this is a rumor right now, its definitely not beyond belief for me. If they have to make more of them to meet demand, why not just rebadge them as the chips losing sales and price them accordingly? I can't see them making more of them after the ones on hand are all gone. Ordered a 144 this morning before I even found this thread. Figure it will be fun to play with and if I want to get rid of it, it won't be hard to do.

peace.
unloaded

It makes perfect sense why there doing this ... simple .. opteron sells are killing A64 sales .. let me explain

us enthusaists are the ones getting optys well

FX - enthousists chip

and its killing alot of the A64 sales .. it would be a smart move on AMDs part, market wise.

PS i knoe my spelling sux :D

koss20100 said:
It makes perfect sense why there doing this ... simple .. opteron sells are killing A64 sales .. let me explain

us enthusaists are the ones getting optys well

FX - enthousists chip

and its killing alot of the A64 sales .. it would be a smart move on AMDs part, market wise.

PS i knoe my spelling sux :D

I highly dought the few who can or want to afford the FX switching to optys is killing A64 sales. The dual core optys are going to kill X2's sales just as much as single cores to fx/a64s but there is no rumor for those.

My personal suspician is I do think AMD doesnt want to sell optys to a different market than intended but then why drop only the single cores, why not double core optys as well? so that doesnt make sense

However, potentially it could hurt a64's but the market isnt there yet, just us enthusiasts, but the word is spreading fast and the stocks are low. think about it, right now ppl have to make a choice of higher priced opty now and with low stocks or the available A64s. but if the supply to the market matches the demand and opty prices drop to suggested, then a lot more unsure users just might go for the cheaper more common opty than the equally cheap but poorer oc'er A64 and that is when the sales of A64's would be affected. just my 2 cents.

BUT it still is all rumor at this point.

Want to know why they might be pulling the plug?.............

Its because they need to divert them all to supply their newest customer - namely DELL.......................

Now I'm all worried that I can't get a 165 in time...cuz I gotta sell my 3700+ to finish off the ammount of money I'll need....hope this isnt real =/

If that were only true we would all be happy to give up Opteron's for such a worthy cause. Well, at least I would. Somehow, I think it's too much to hope for, but anything is possible.

Wow, I was gone for 4 days and I come back to this?!!! :eek:
What's the latest word on this phenomenon? Is this still expected to affect single cores only? So dual core Opterons will continue to sell in retail stores that we can buy from?

Considering the Opterons are pretty much the same price as their 512 k l2 cache brothers, i don't think AMD is sitting there worried about it's A64 line. Money is money... that, and there isn't a whole lot of people that would buy the opteron anyway.

This thing with dell is good reason for them to pull them from the market. And its not like they would pull them either. They'd let it run dry simply because they are looking where the money is. Not worrying about a bunch of OCers getting good clocks with them :rolleyes:

AMD may want to keep the Opties in the retail market if only to artifically inflate their Server market numbers. AMD is making a big move on Intel and any numbers that helps their sales force sell corporate customers on the idea that AMD will soon become the default choice for servers is a good thing for AMD. In the meantime we get killer CPUs. :)

ziggo0 said:
Is there any date that this could happen...?
Sometime between now and (unsigned) time_t then = BIGNUM, I'm sure. (Read: Probably not right away, if ever.)

Dell would probably be blowing their foot off if they decided to start carrying AMD products, since they have a very, uh, friendly relationship with both Intel and Microcrooksoft. That's one of the reasons that they can make Dimensions so cheap and commonplace--they buy cheap.

Ahh good then...I just sold a gig of ram and my CPU is up for grabs, I dont wanna rack up all this cash and not have a nice shiny 165 to buy :(

Last edited:
Well wether this is all true or not (I could only find 1 place on PriceWatch that still had them) I went and bought a 146. The place had Retail and OEM versions of the chip, but the OEM was like $2-3 more. I thought Retails were supposed to be more? Well anyways I got the Retail. Now let's just hope I don't recieve an email stating they are sorry to inform me that they are out of stock and not going to be restocking them. Man I hope I just didn't Jinx me. Well this thread sold me. I won't have any money for All other Parts for PC till probably beginning of next year, Oh Well. Laterz all

I couldn't resist...I ordered a 148 retail from newegg. I will report stepping this week; oc results next week or possibly even later as finals week is approaching at OSU.

Back