• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Audible Cpu Test Failure Warning on a P4P800-E-DX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zuzzz

Premium Member
The system is:

P4P800-E-DX
P4 3.0gHz(Northwood)
2x512MB PC3200 Kingston RAM
3 200GB SATA drives
DVD-burner(IDE)
9600 All-in-Wonder Video
On-board Sound
480 watt Antec PSU

Problem is:

This system ran flowlessly for almost a year. This system was not overclocked at any point. The RAM CPU and video card have all tested ok in known good systems. There is no video upon power up and I hear an audible warning saying "System failed CPU test.". Short of removing the board from the case I have covered what I think are all the bases. Reset CMOS, change PSU's, disconnected all other devices. . HDD, DVDetc...

Could this be a bad motherboard?? It just died.

Z

Do you have another cpu you can swap with it to verify? Sounds to me like that is the only thing you haven't swapped yet.
My guess would be mobo over cpu.

Hopefully is it still under warranty.

Swapped a 2.6 known good chip and got the same message. Im guessing the board is toast but I posted hoping someone might have seen this and its not the board. Wishful thinking I'm sure. The suspect chip is working well as Im currently using it to write this in a known good machine.

Z

Received a new board and all is well with the world. . seems the 12v circuits on the old board just 'failed'. Go figure. Kudos for the audible warning messages. I might still be fighting with that board.

Z

. . and so it continues. I recieved word the second baord has now failed in the same manner. Im guessing a power supply issue but has anyone seen anything lese that could cause this? Im more or less stumped here. I took readings from the PSU and it was not out of acceptable range nor was it too small. Im totally lost here as all other components check out as well.

Z

PS: Is there perhaps some kind of new virus that is doing this? Something that might attack the BIOS but is undetectable to AV software???

Zuzzz said:
. . and so it continues. I recieved word the second baord has now failed in the same manner. Im guessing a power supply issue but has anyone seen anything lese that could cause this? Im more or less stumped here. I took readings from the PSU and it was not out of acceptable range nor was it too small. Im totally lost here as all other components check out as well.

Z

PS: Is there perhaps some kind of new virus that is doing this? Something that might attack the BIOS but is undetectable to AV software???

I had a similar problem. My P4c died the same way. Two weeks later the OCZ powerstream died. I think the powerstream actually killed it. I have no evidence to support that theory. It was just odd that the board and powersupply died at the same time. What PS do you have?

It seems I have been informed that the PSU is more than likely bad. Im replacing it with an Antec. We will see

Z

I got the same warning with my motherboard, and I smelled somthing burning. It turned out to be the ICH5R chip burned up! I haven't got the board back yet but its on its way

Back