• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

** Conroe questions **

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jake J.

Registered
Hello.

I was just sort of confused, will the i975x chipset support Conroe, or will it not without a BIOS update? <-- I think I read something about that but not really sure.

Also - how much do you think the least expensive ASUS/ABIT board will be that will support Conroe? I was hoping for something in the 165$ range but from looking at some of the current 955 boards I'm not so sure.

I'm looking to get the Cedar and then go Conroe but I'd like to kill two birds with one stone by getting a board that can take either of these chips. I'd prefer not to buy a second mobo for the Conroe when it comes out.

Thank you so much.

JJ

:welcome: To OC Forums Jake J.

I doubt very seriously that the 975 will support the Conroe. I've heard rumors that the Conroe will have it's own memory controller on the chip, and don't see how that would work with a chipset that has the mem controller on the chipset. That mem controller on the chip[ is only a rumor now, but everything I've been told to date has proven to be correct. We will have to see to be 100% certain though, because rumors are just that until Intel itself releases the final version to the public. With it being a year away (maybe mid 06 if we're lucky) I expect there will be a 985(?) and 995(?) released by them. If you are going to go Conroe, I'd wait and get the board at the same time you get the chip. You want the board matched to the chip you're running.

As for board prices, I expect they will range from 200-250 dollars for a good OC'ing board. I wouldn't dare put a Conroe on a cheap board. if you did that, there would be no point in getting a Conroe, because it wouldn't perform up to it's performance level. A mobo is the last place I would skimp on.

I see. It seems my queries are a bit premature. Thanks for the info guys.

Ok, so that's a dead end for now.

What about for Cedar Mill? My mom is saying she'll let me have 250$ for Christmas and I have around 400$ already saved up. I can make this purchase as soon as Dec 10th so what would you guys recommend for a good mobo/chipset? Tell me it's not too early for mobo shopping on that end, or is it? I know those chips won't be out till early January (Q2? even for some?) but I'm looking to get the 631 Cedar.

Thanks again.

It should be January on the boards and the chips from all I have read thus far. If anybody has heard anything different please let us know. :)

3DFlyer said:
It should be January on the boards and the chips from all I have read thus far. If anybody has heard anything different please let us know. :)

So you are saying don't get any of the current 945/955 boards and wait till jan? Give the manufacturers more time to prep the boards for Cedar? Sounds right in my head, but you know more than me. lol

:santa:

Yes, I always get the board and the chip at the same time. That way I know I'm getting the latest stuff with the latest revisions, and everything seems to work better that way. There's lots of stuff that goes on with these boards and CPU's. If you buy a board now, and then a CPU later, the chipset may have new revisons done to it, it may have new drivers that come on the CD with the board, the boards may come out with new BIOS features, or there may even be a totally new board or two or three that comes out after you bought yours.

I always pick the CPU, and then get the mobo that's best "fit" for it, then go and select the memory (RAM) that fits both of those two, then pick a video card that's as capable as can find, then I look into the drives, cooling, and make sure I have a PSU that will power all of that.

By going in tha order, and doing your homework on all of that, you eliminate possible bottlenecks or trouble spots, and you make sure you have all the latest stuff that matches.

With Intel, the board always goes with the CPU. Some boards work with multiple CPU's, but they aren't necessarily the best choice for a speciffic CPU.

Whenever I buy a CPU, I always buy a mobo right then, and find the best board for *that* speciffic CPU. I've had boards in the past that were compatible with other CPU's I bought, but they weren't the best choice for the newer CPU.

Good point.

So it looks like what I'm really waiting for will be the 965 (G/P?) chipset. I can't wait for a quieter setup, should be neat.

AdvanS13 said:
i believe it will be called broadwater.

Broadwater? What will be called broadwater? That is a new term I would like to hear more about. :)

Edit: nm...I found it. Here is an intersting URL with links at the bottom of the page that are very interesting. That new PEE955 sounds like it's gonna put Conroe right on track for a 8MB cache version Conroe EE chip! Woooweee! It looks like the roadmap is straight for Intel with no detours. I like it! I like it alot! :)

Check this! ==> http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2005/11/18/asus_reveals_pee/

Last edited:
3DFlyer said:
Broadwater? What will be called broadwater? That is a new term I would like to hear more about. :)

Edit: nm...I found it. Here is an intersting URL with links at the bottom of the page that are very interesting. That new PEE955 sounds like it's gonna put Conroe right on track for a 8MB cache version Conroe EE chip! Woooweee! It looks like the roadmap is straight for Intel with no detours. I like it! I like it alot! :)

Check this! ==> http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2005/11/18/asus_reveals_pee/
the broadwater chipset family is supposed to support the next gen stuff q2 '06. i think earlier, 975x was supposed to be compatible (maybe bios updates?), but the official chipset for next gen is broadwater.

Back