• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CoreGamer

Last edited:
Hi CoreGamer and :welcome: To OC Forums!

I was looking at the water setup you posted, and would not recommend that setup. It is not a very quality setup, and that top on that water block has cracking and crazing issues before.

If this is your first build I would highly recommend going with Air cooling unless you have a friend or somebody nearby that has had water cooling experience. The learning curve for water cooling is steep. Water cooling can actually do more harm than good if it's not setup properly, and good components aren't selected.

On of the biggies with water cooling is to avoid "kits". You will not find a kit that has all good topline components in it. They will always skimp on the pump, or the water block, or the rad, or in the case of TT setup, all of the above.

Your temps would probably do better with an XP120 and good fan setup than they would with that TT setup, and the risks of leaks and burndowns is very great with that setup. If you see clear plastic in a water setup that generally spells trouble. You want either delrin, or acetal. That clear stuff cracks, crazes and breaks.

It's best if you are water cooling to go and select each component you need to build a good water loop. To do that takes alot of careful study, and reading the experience of others that have had success with these parts.

Good parts include names like Storm G4 water blocks, black ice rads, delta fans of at least 80CFM or more, Swiftech MC655 pumps, Tygon tubing. Water additives to prevent algae and other harmful growth from destroying those parts. It's more complicated than you might think at first glance.

On the build itself, that Fatality is a good mobo, but it's showing it's age. There are many good boards out now by Asus that clock even better like the P5WD series of boards. The P5WD2-Premium boards are one of the best overclockers out there.

On the chip, yes, that is a good overclocker, but for almost the same price, you can get a 64bit 6xx series CPU and those OC like mad. In January there are new CPU's coming out (Cedar Mill and Pressler) that will even be better.

Take your time when you are new. Ask lots of questions. Ask about each specific piece of hardware you are selecting, and ask the guys what they think and if they recommend anything better. Give them a price range.

If you go that route, we can all help you build a system that will do exactly what you want, in your price range, and it will beat anything you ever dreamed of.

You have come to the right forum man. These guys on here have a LOT of experience, and they know alot about this stuff. I have much experience as well with it, and would be glad to help you where I can.

Last edited:
CoreGamer said:
Alright thanks, heard of any1 that has O/C'ed that processor?

100's to thousands I'd say. This forum has 60,000+ registered members, and out of those 100's have probably OC'd that CPU. Not all 60,000 are active, but there is a big number of active Intel OC'ers here.

It will OC, but you can get a socket 775 6xx (630-670) for about the same price, and they run cooler, OC higher, are support 64bit. They are also about the same price. The 6xx series is better technology.

Thanks alot for the help, not many fourums have members as helpful as this one...and believe me Ive been to ALOT of forums. About the cooling, I went for the liquid cooling because I thought you couldnt overclock much on air. But building a system in parts and not as a kit seems VERY complicated. I also chose that board because ive heard lots of good things about it, and its supposed to be a good Overclocker.

CoreGamer said:
Thanks alot for the help, not many fourums have members as helpful as this one...and believe me Ive been to ALOT of forums. About the cooling, I went for the liquid cooling because I thought you couldnt overclock much on air. But building a system in parts and not as a kit seems VERY complicated. I also chose that board because ive heard lots of good things about it, and its supposed to be a good Overclocker.

This is a great forum. IMO opinion it is one of the best on the Internet. The people here are really helpful, and freindly. We have our moments sometimes, but these are good people.

Myself, I like helping people here. People always help me when need help too. You'll get good advice here, and these guys really know their stuff man. They will give you the straight scoop. None of us have done it all or learned it all, but mnay of us have alot of experience with this stuff, and we have OC'd mnay computers, and understand problem areas that may cause trouble for the newcomer.

Even if you've build many sytems, OC'ing can be a challenge. When building your first OC'ing rig, go with stuff that you see guys using alot of. That way, if you have an issue, you'll have more guys to ask questions to, and there will be a bigger pool of users that can help you.

Some of this stuff is a little more pricey. I'm not gonna lie to you about that. It costs more, becasue it is quality enthusiast level hardware. Hardware that will stand up to the rigors of OC'ing and is less likely to fail. Notice I didn't say immune to failure, but alot of this stuff is very reliable, and as you have seen on here, mnay do it with success. There is always risk with OC'ing. Never let somebody tell you different. Things can and do go wrong even if it is rare. We cannot give you gurantees. All we can do is tell you our experiences and what worked for us.

I hope you enjoy this forum. There is a wealth of information here, and if you need anything all you have to do is ask. If you would like help with a matter in private, my PM is always open, and if I can't help you with a speciffic problem, and I will try my best to find somebody who can. :)

I have the regular AA8XE, not the Fatal1ty version. Look in the Abit motherboard section for my sticky post about using the the BIOS O/C features.

Get at least 2X512 (1 gig) of DDR2 RAM. Forget the PC2-3200, you don't want the memory holding you back. Even on a low budget, you can get affordable PC2-4200 or PC2-5400 RAM that will O/C well (like OCZ, Crucial, Corsair, Mushkin, etc.). Here is one example of some RAM on special right now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227046.

Bit Pricey, but I could probably get it since I was advised not to use a W/C system and that was like 130 Bucks

Let's not blow all your remaining budget on RAM. You need to save some cash back for a good heatsink and a couple of case fans, That might be $40 or $50. So, let's drop down to PC2-4200 since most of the major name brands will O/C close to PC2-5400 speeds with a bump in voltage. Try this OCZ RAM, newegg has an $8 mail in rebate. I know first hand that OCZ will handle lots of voltage.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227006

Well, I dont want to skimp on the ram because I want to get good speeds on my processor

Assuming you get the 640 CPU, which is the better of the two you listed, let's do the math. It has a multiplier of 16X and default 200 FSB (16X200=3200 MHz). Let's say you get good cooling and get a really good CPU that hits 4.25 gig which is 266 FSB. Well if you are using the 1:1 memory ratio, that means your PC2-4200 RAM is really running exactly at spec (DDR2-533). Ok, now let's do a more conservative scenerio. You can do 250 FSB or 4 gig at fairly low vcore. Add a little extra memory voltage (like 2v) and maybe relax the timings a bit, then you can probably run the RAM at close to DDR2-667 (PC2-5400 speeds). This is 250 FSB using the 3:4 memory ratio. Anyway, if you can stretch the budget a little, definitely get the faster RAM, but if not, you can still make do with a wise purchase. Although my OCZ is the more expensive OCZ EB platinium limited edition PC2-4200, I've hit DDR2-720 with tight timings and a bump in voltage. I think OCZ will honor their warranty for voltage up to 2.1 or 2.2v. It's higher than most companies guarantee that's for sure.

Last edited:
Alright, I would really like an overclock at 4Ghz stable, and I dont mind spending the money on the RAM. I already ordered the Mobo and the 640 so Ill probably get the faster ram

Due to a problem with the cash I was going to recieve. I had to downgrade all my parts...and on top of all that, the guy that ordered the parts for me ordered the wrong CPU!I almost died when I realized this....

Back