• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Very strange and annoying Internet problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Captain Hilts

I hope that someone can help out with this, I've searched around everywhere and haven't been able to find an answer. Every once in a while, every couple of days or so (but sometimes more frequent), my net connection stops responding. I'm pretty sure that it's not a problem with the ISP though, as there are a couple of computers on this network and it's only my main one that seems to do this. My laptop for sure, has never had this problem. For what it's worth, the main computer is the only one that is connected to the router with a cable, the rest are wireless.

When this problem occurs, Internet Explorer just says "Conecting to site xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" in the status bar, with the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx representing the ip address of the website. This indicates that I'm still getting the website's ip, but I just can't go any farther than that. I am also able to ping external addresses.

When this happens, usually the only way I can get it to work again is by rebooting the computer. Once in a while if I leave it for ten or twenty minutes or so, it comes back. Disabling and enabling the network connection or repairing the ip address doesn't do anything. Especially when running Prime95 or another program to test stability while finding the max overclock, you can see that this would be annoying. It's annoying enough during normal situations though.

Now here's the strangest part. The other day I change the mobo and cpu from an Nf7-S with a Barton to a DFI UT 250Gb and Sempron 64 (and I reformatted as well) and I just got the problem again. I'm using the onboard network adapters so that has changed as well.

I'm using Windows XP and my router is a Linksys wireless-g WRT54G. I also tried changing to a fixed ip address in the Local Area Connection properties and that didn't seem to help either. Anyone have any ideas?

I have also had that problem. Not sure if it is all similar except for what is happening.
my connection with the ISP would quit after anywhere from 10minutes to 2 hours. rebooting the cable modem seemd to be the way to solve the connection problem at first. Then it started to needing the Smoothwall and the modem rebooted to regain the connection. THEN it went on to needing the smoothwall shut down, reformatted, reloaded to get the connection. and on... and on... and on...
In short after spending a buttload of cash trying to stay connected, I found out the problem was actually in the routers i used, they were bad (2 of them) :shrug: after changing them, nothing has been a problem. Try changing your router, or even losing the wireless for a while to see what happens.

yeah I figure it must be the router, I think I have the latest firmware but I'll check that. The first thing I'll try is changing the port though, I hadn't thought of trying that out.

yep I've been using the second port and it's been happening again. I don't have an extra cable handy but I'll get one and try that next. I guess I should email Linksys support too to see what they say.

Back