• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Optimized clients do not work at all.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sephis

I recently reformatted my rig and now when using the optimized clients from http://www.bomolai.com/seti_install.htm every WU gets a computation error and is returned without credit. When I use the standard client it works fine. I have tried all of the optimized clients (even ones for MMX only) and none of them will run more than a few hours without erroring. I downloaded them from other sites as well and stilll the errors come. I have this problem on my machine as well as my roommate's (also recently formatted). I have used these same optimized clients on both machines for months now with no errors, but now they will not work. Also, it can't be a bad batch of WU's because it has been happening for almost two weeks. Any help would be appreciated.

If you're running XP uninstall everything, clear out the contents of your prefetch folder and tmp folder, reinstall according to instructions.

If you just suddenly started returning bad work units you may have a hardware failure that is having an effect on the work unit results.

I experienced this problem on one rig, I then swapped out the pieces one at a time till I discovered the problem was the hard drive. Any machine running off that hard drive would have bad units (even after a reformat and reinstall of windows). Note: I had 4 identical systems so the swapping process was very simple.

edit: reading your post more carefully I see your roommate has the identical problem. It is somewhat unlikely that both machines would have the same hardware problem (unless a power surge has damaged them both the same way). So I would start looking for a software problem, something they both have in common like a virus or some other nasty hiding in the background.

I uninstalled and deleted the boinc folder. After a reinstall the computer runs SETI fine for hours. When I start using the optimized clients it almost immediately starts erroring out.

edit: Thorough scans with adaware, spybot, and norton found nothing but cookies.

Last edited:
I had the same problem on a linux machine. I had errors on every work unit with the optimized client, Then I used the orriginal un-optimized and everything is working fine.

Back