• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Confusion over P5WD2 Premium dividers.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

krag

Classifieds Moderator
I'm an AMD person but have a Intel P5WD2 Premium setup. I am using 2x1gig Crucial pc-6400. The lable on the anti-staic bag says CL5...thats it for mem timings. I have the 640 set to stock and my mem set to 800mhz. CPU-s 1.30 says my mem timings are 4-4-4-18. And my cpu is at 14x200=2810mhz. Sandra give me a score of 5260.

Does the mobo change the divder on the mem automatically? I am very confused with this Intel OC'ing. Any help is appreciated!! :)

The FSB is at 250 and CPU-z says 1000. I know the 250 is quad pumped. But the Sandra bench score is way low. This is with timings of 5-5-5-15

1000at55515.jpg

krag said:
I'm an AMD person but have a Intel P5WD2 Premium setup. I am using 2x1gig Crucial pc-6400. The lable on the anti-staic bag says CL5...thats it for mem timings. I have the 640 set to stock and my mem set to 800mhz. CPU-s 1.30 says my mem timings are 4-4-4-18. And my cpu is at 14x200=2810mhz. Sandra give me a score of 5260.

Does the mobo change the divder on the mem automatically? I am very confused with this Intel OC'ing. Any help is appreciated!! :)
From what I understand, as you raise the fsb in bios you'll see the mem ratio speed change when you look at the selections. e.g. ddr2-667 at 200fsb will change to ddr2-367 at 220fsb. These are 3:5. (667/2=333) (200/333=3:5)

krag said:
at 14x200=2810mhz. Sandra give me a score of 5260.

The 640 clocking down to 2.8ghz is the Intel Enhanced Speed Steep functionality kicking in when there are no "strenuous" operations running. So it's not the divider that is changing automatically but the cpu multiplier.

As for the "low" sandra scores; If you're indeed running your memory at 800mhz (should be the auto detect on that board for your memory) then yeah, 5200ish is a little low. However, I wouldnt expect better than 200-300 more pts on that score in "default" settings.

If you run the cpu:memory 1:1 and up the FSB to 250 you should hit the low to mid 6000's easily. IMHO, the default dividers on ASUS boreds leave a little something to be desired unless you o/c with a divider set.

Hope this helps a little bit.

I'm an AMD person but have a Intel P5WD2 Premium setup.
The mem ratios and dividers for this mobo are designed to speed mem up. Not slow it down like the dividers for the DDR1 mem on the amd systems. Your 6400 mem default speed is DDR800 ~ or a frequency of 400mhz. It is not likely you will get your fsb up to 400 where you can run you cpu:mem at 1:1. So you use one fo the mem ratios to get more speed out of your mem once you have reached the max of your cpu.

Welcome Krag, you're gonna have fun with this board.

First off you shouldn't worry about all the marketing values. Let's refer to fsb as a mhz, ram speed as a mhz (no ddr2-blahblah), and forget about the quad-pumped bus. When you're in the Jumperfree section, set the fsb then look directly under it at the ram setting. The numbers it shows there are the dividers, but they are in ddr2-blahblah format. They change with the FSB, unlike AMD. So, if you're set to 250mhz fsb, 1:1 will appear as DDR2-500(250mhz ram), and 1:2 will appear as DDR2-1000 (500mhz ram). Then there are all the dividers inbetween.

You will see the cpu at a 14x multi instead of a 16x multi when it's idle, unless you disable C1 Enchanced whatever in the cpu section of the bios. If you want to run the 14x multi you have to enable C1 and set the speedstep to minimum value.

Awesome bro! That really helps! So the first mem divider selection below the CPU frequency is 1:1?

DDR-400 = 1:1
DDR-533 = 1:2
DDR-600 = ?
DDR-677 = ?
DDR-800 = ?

It seems to me that when I was messing with this board earlier that the 1:1 divider changed after a certain FSB increase. I think it was after 250 in the CPU frequency. Anyone else notice that?

i'm not sure about change but the first one for me is usually a backwards divider (ram slower than fsb) then the second is 1:1

@ 200fsb
DDR-533 = 3:4
DDR-600 = 2:3
DDR-677 = 3:5
DDR-800 = 1:2

Last edited:
crimedog said:
i'm not sure about change but the first one for me is usually a backwards divider (ram slower than fsb) then the second is 1:1

@ 200fsb
DDR-533 = 1:2
DDR-600 = 2:3
DDR-677 = 3:5
DDR-800 = 1:2
Shouldn't DDR-533 = 4:5?

Hmmm, well the confusion continues. I am testing this crucial pc6400 2gig set here and I have CPU-z open while I am benching Sady and I can't believe my eyes. The multi is changing...from 14x to 16x. The multi is at 14x when the system is at idle. Then when I enable the benchmark the multi changes to 16x immediately. Anyone know anything about this??? Very wierd to an AMD boi! :) :p

These speeds aer at DDR-1000 2.3v on "auto" mem frequency

At idle right after a bench...14x multi

Attachments

• before x14 multi 2 (Medium) (Small).GIF
    before x14 multi 2 (Medium) (Small).GIF
    71.6 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Its called intel EIST or speed step or something its there thermal throttleing technology I believe you can turn it off in the bios though, but I am not sure where as my board isn't here yet.

This one is during the bench...16x multi Sorry about the bogus pics

Attachments

• during x16 multi 2 (Small).GIF
    during x16 multi 2 (Small).GIF
    77.2 KB · Views: 121
in the cpu section of the bios you wanna turn off C1 enchancement, thermal throttling, and set the speed step option to disabled (i can't remember it's title sorry). that should keep it at 16x.

Jeeeesh, I hate it already.

Ok, the cpu-z shot of the mem timings is blank.

Attachments

• blank timings (Small).JPG
    blank timings (Small).JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 128
Changed it. Its at 16x now. It even made the OC a bit more stable too. I was able to complete 16k Super Pi and a small bit into 1mb before it failed. before I failed them all straight out. WAaaahoooooo....16k Super Pi stable....Heh! :rolleyes:

krag said:
Jeeeesh, I hate it already.

Ok, the cpu-z shot of the mem timings is blank.

You need to set your memory timings manually, I believe in bios it's under chipset, and then configure memory timings manually. then set them to your rated clocks. The crazy timings are the reason for the poor sandra BW benches.

Back