• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need a little help overclocking here

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ghost_recon88

Senior Jedi Master
Okay, I have a 2GHz P4 @ 2.48GHz with 1.55 voltage in an Abit IS7 mobo. It's prime95 safe here for 9 hours but I can't seem to hit anything higher. The temps are sweet, it never ran above 48c. I'm running the RAM in 1:1 and it's rated for 3200 speeds. How much more voltage is safe to crank through this chip? I would go higher but I don't want to fry it. Is it @ a normal overclock for this chip right now.

Depends on cooling, but you should be able to safely raise vcore to 1.6v, assuming temps aren't excessive. Use CPU-Z to see what stepping you have. If that's an old B0 stepping Northwood, then 2.5 to 2.6 gig might be all you can get. If you have PC3200 RAM, then you should be able to easily use the 3:4 memory ratio.

It is indeed a B0 stepping. Right now, I have it @ 2.6GHz with the BIOS set to 1.65 volts and the RAM running in 1:1. Why would I want the RAM to run faster than the FSB if the FSB is as fast as the CPU can communicate with the RAM. Wouldn't the RAM be running faster than the CPU can handle? BTW, when I primed it @ 2.6GHz, the temps topped out at 56c, is that a safe temperature? Can I safely crank 1.7 volts through this chip?

Back