• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dumb PD question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
All support x64 :)

pdx640vh.jpg

any noticeable differences in performance in x64, I gotta a copy staring at me on the desk here, and wondering if I should bother with in install

32bit apps ~roughly the same. Benchmarks are maybe a tiny bit slower, but nothing noticeable in day-to-day.

64bit apps are "teh roxors". I've been playing Far Cry x64 and it's noticeably better. You can't really compare framerates because they changed the graphics - better textures, long view distances, better effects... Cinebench x64 shows a 10~15% increase over the 32bit version. I think that's about it for my 64bit apps ATM.

Works:
- Office 2003 (all parts inc. Visio and all those extras)
- AutoCAD 2000i
- WinRAR 3.51
- AnyDVD, CloneDVD, CloneCD
- Nero 6.6.something
- PhotoShop CS2
- Irfanview
- etc etc

Doesn't work:
- Adobe 7.0 Pro PDF printer (Office plugins work, it just doesn't add the "PDF printer". Reads PDFs fine.
- Norton/Symantec stuff
- PCmark05 runs all tests, but at the end it says "You need to run all system tests for a valid score" or whatever.

I'm still working on getting an anti-virus program. Apparently Norton AV x64 corporate edition works well, but it's heard to find up here (especially in a single licence pack). My g/f might be able to get an academic version from school 'tho.

Check for driver support before you commit.

For that board you'll probably want:
- Realtek ALC882 R1.27 5.10.0.5188 (or newer) for onboard sound - R1.25 5.10.0.5172 blue screened for me.
- MS .NET 2.0 (or newer) before you install the ATi drivers. Cat 5.10 or later.
- intel INF utility 7.2.2.1006 (or newer).
- Run those Hitachi's in AHCI mode (set in BIOS) off the ICH7R - Intel drivers (F6 floppy) 5.1.0.1022 (or newer). Ignore this if you're running RAID.

Back