• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New comp or no?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

demighost

SUp guys i just got a job( my first) and now that i will have some sort of money i could afford a new pc. BUt im a cheapass at heart and was thinking of doing simple upgrades to my current pc and then it would be just as good.
My current rig is in my sig, but i was thinking of upgraded to a socket 939 venice and oc it, and get a new mobo and new video card and use my case/ram/hd and other thing from my current comp.
I also thought of getting one of those socket 754 nforce 4 mobos and just upgrading my video card and ram? iw ould get a 1gb stick making 2gbs and prolly pickup a 6800gs. wich would be better?

You may want to save your money till after the M2's come out, so spending money on ram or an agp card would be a waste. You could get ready to build a new system by purchasing a first rate PSU and heatsink. If you really want to get into a 939 then I'd suggest something lower end, so your not too invested in it. An ASRock Dual SataII ULI1695 based board is less than $70 and takes a pci-e or agp video card. Then get a 3200 Venice or a 144 Opteron(if you can find one) and you should be able to OC it well.

rseven said:
You may want to save your money till after the M2's come out, so spending money on ram or an agp card would be a waste. You could get ready to build a new system by purchasing a first rate PSU and heatsink. If you really want to get into a 939 then I'd suggest something lower end, so your not too invested in it. An ASRock Dual SataII ULI1695 based board is less than $70 and takes a pci-e or agp video card. Then get a 3200 Venice or a 144 Opteron(if you can find one) and you should be able to OC it well.

Socket M2 is still a little while away, and even then it is sure to have some bugs and issues similar to the early T2 K8's and Winchesters.

Maybe it's just me, but I would prefer to build using a mature platform over something that is just brand new. Having said this, I definitely think you could benefit from a new system. Here's my advice for somethign economical:

Venice 3200+ or Opteron 146 ~ 150/200
G. SKill GX 2x1GB ~ 185 @ Newegg
DFI NF4 Ultra-D ~ 115-120
eVGA/XFX 6800GS ~ 200
CM Centurion 5 Case ~ 50
Fortron Blue Storm 500W ~ 85-90

deception``

Deception``, did you mean GSkill GX or ZX, as the ZX is on sale for $185.? Also, the Fortron 500watt is dual rail and the 550 is single rail. That's why I said the 550.

rseven said:
Deception``, did you mean GSkill GX or ZX, as the ZX is on sale for $185.? Also, the Fortron 500watt is dual rail and the 550 is single rail. That's why I said the 550.

I meant the ZX....I made a guess on the code name.

Also, the Fortron 500W is a solid PSU unlike the OCZ 600W; there's nothing wrong with recommending any FSP unit in my opinion.

deception``

Damn! I just went to Newegg and the GSkill ZX is gone. I guess they sold out.

Edit: Now the ZX is back again and still on sale.

Last edited:
OOOOOOOOOOR, you could save your coinage for that rainy day when your car breaks down, your gf breaks up with you, tuition/housing/rent payments are due, and you're hungry with nothing in the refrigerator.

College has made me love my old school 478/agp setup... just wait... you'll be me one day. <3 used/old stuff.

I would hold of on a large upgrade until either M2 or Dual core P-M for desktop. The only thing that would help you out would be a GFX upgrade, if you can find a ~$200 card it might be worth your while.

Depends what you do if you play heavy gaming or what not but your current system in your sig is better than mine and I'm happy with my Xp2500 for what gaming I do..its sufficient. I would hold off until the technological need arises to upgrade...

I just got a new widescreen lcd monitor and it's put me in the same position but I think I need to go with a new system since all of my old computers are IDE/AGP and I would end up buying parts that would soon be obsolete.

Back