• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC Anime Club

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I just watched the first disc of Samurai Champloo over the weekend and I have to say, if you like Samurai X (Kenshin) and/or Cowboy Bebop, snag this up. Excellent thus far!!!

I've known about this thread for a while, but never had the desire to post here. :p

Anyway I just finished Haibane Renmei, liked it a lot. I also just finished watching the last of Hayao Miyazaki's movies, and with Pom Poko I will have seen all of Ghibli's. Not a single one of them was bad. Tokyo Godfathers was good, as was Ah My Goddess!. I'm a bit disappointed by the sequel to Ai Yori Aoshi, it went the wrong way from the original. His and Her Circumstances was a trip.

Up next on my list is probably Full Metal Panic, or Hunter X. I also have Last Exile on my list. I'm probably going to go back through this thread and add some others, since bleach is doing a filler arc. :D

i just watched haibane renmei too. pretty sure i didn't actually understand it the way it was meant to be understood, but i liked it nevertheless.

On that topic, has anyone read Anzu: The Shards of Memory and can follow it? It seems like there should be a prologue that I can't find. I'm a bit confused (like that's anything new :p )

Not much time for anime, but I plan to watch more of Haibane Renmei and Kenshin (if I can remember what disc I left off at last time) this weekend.

Oh lord what a great couple of weeks

FINISHED

Mai Otome
Black Cat
Canvas 2

Final episodes of each all in the same week

Mai Otome - 's good, nuff said
Black Cat - ended pretty much what I was expecting
Canvas 2 - ended nothing like I was expecting, mmm incest, mmmmmm

got the first episodes of Second Season of Ah! My Goddess. Belldandy seems to emote a hell of a lot more this time around, hell she even gets a little angry....and that voice....mmmmmmm

Ray The Animation is pretty damned interesting. Its like ER, only with kung fu ninja nurses and a peg legged pirate dude is the hospital director...quite unique I must say...

guys.... you all are MUCH more into Anime than me, even though I enjoy it a lot. Is there any decent (B grade or better) anime along the lines of either Witch Hunter Robin or Samurai Deeper-Kyo?

TollhouseFrank said:
guys.... you all are MUCH more into Anime than me, even though I enjoy it a lot. Is there any decent (B grade or better) anime along the lines of either Witch Hunter Robin or Samurai Deeper-Kyo?

No, I just think that penguin4x4 just has no life :p lol

Jk dude.

I find that a lot of Anime just moves at too slow of a pace for me. REALLY popular stuff like DBZ and Initial-D take like 4-5 episodes for something even remotely interesting to happen. They spend the first half of each episode rehashing what happened over the last 20 episodes too and I'm like JFC FFC just do SOMETHING already!!!!

Frank,
You may like Vampire Hunter D or Devil Hunter Yoko.

TollhouseFrank said:
Ghost in the Shell is similar to Witch Hunter Robin in the "Political Thriller with Violence" sort of way. You may also want to try Armitage, it's less political, but has the same "cops chasing criminals" aspect.. with a romance plot.

As for Samurai Deeper Kyo, if you like it because of the swordsmanship, try Ruroni Kenshin (later known as Samurai X). If you like it because of the rag-tag team feel, try One Piece (very, very long), or Nurato (also very, very long... don't really care for this one myself.)

Besides that, I'd need to know exactly the kinds of shows you like (ie: horror, comedy, political thriller, etc).

FudgeNuggets said:
I find that a lot of Anime just moves at too slow of a pace for me. REALLY popular stuff like DBZ and Initial-D take like 4-5 episodes for something even remotely interesting to happen. They spend the first half of each episode rehashing what happened over the last 20 episodes too and I'm like JFC FFC just do SOMETHING already!!!!
Try sticking to OAVs / OVAs... they're a short number of episodes (usually less than 6), that complete a whole lot of plot. Try FLCL, for example. A lot happens in 6 OAV episodes.. TV series tend to sag in the middle, especially if you are watching a fighting anime (I can't stand most of them, they spend 99% of the time talking or yelling at eachother (with the vast majority of it not advancing plot any), and 1% of the time fighting. Especially the ones where a single enemy can take several episodes to defeat.)

And I've finally succumbed to the urge for posting in this thread.

One more vote for ghost in the shell, though I think su root's referring to GITS: Stand Alone Complex. The series of GITS, not the movies.

Ergo Proxy's looking good as well, but it's still too early to tell since it's only at episode 3.

zonama™ said:
One more vote for ghost in the shell, though I think su root's referring to GITS: Stand Alone Complex. The series of GITS, not the movies.
All GITS is decent, it helps a bit if you watch it chronologically (although you don't lose much if you don't, just a bit of character development):
Ghost In The Shell (movie)
Ghost In The Shell 2: Innocense (movie)
Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex (series)
Ghost In The Shell: 2nd GIG (series)
Personally I find it GITS to be a bit too political for me, and way too wordy, but it's still a great title.

FudgeNuggets said:

Frank,
You may like Vampire Hunter D or Devil Hunter Yoko.

Majority of the anime I have watched actualy moves at a good pace, and realy does very little to rehash.

Back