• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

just got my 2005FPW

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

anasazi

Registered
wow this thing is quite large!

no dead pixels, no stuck pixels, which is good ... it has a little bit of backlight bleeding at the lower left of the screen but i don't think it'll bother me.

one thing i noticed is that the analog input looks like crap. it doesn't fill the whole screen, some things are shadowed and some text is fuzzy. when i connected the digital i have seen no problems what so ever. is this normal?

the analog is on my laptop, which has a known bad video card in it, so maybe that could cause it?

but other than that, this thing is amazing! i've got it connected to my serverbox with a 9600pro to test the DVI, my main rig won't be here for 2 weeks.

initial impressions for the 2005FPW is :attn:

Some people don't have a problem with analogue; others find it intolerable. There is nothing to worry about as long as you like the digital signal. Hell, I never even hooked my 2005 up to a D-SUB cable :)

Congrats on your new LCD.

If possible, try to get us a shot of the LCD in the dark so we can observe whether or not you're seeing normal or abnormal bleeding.

deception``

sure can, will have to wait until dark though because my window blinds don't really block much light. i attempted to take a picture earlier but it didn't work out so great.

how long is dell's turnaround if you send one of these things back for bleeding? is there a good chance that i might get one back with bad pixels? i'm more worried about bad or stuck pixels than anything else at this point, but then again i've only used the laptop LCD for the past 3 years.

anasazi said:
sure can, will have to wait until dark though because my window blinds don't really block much light. i attempted to take a picture earlier but it didn't work out so great.

how long is dell's turnaround if you send one of these things back for bleeding? is there a good chance that i might get one back with bad pixels? i'm more worried about bad or stuck pixels than anything else at this point, but then again i've only used the laptop LCD for the past 3 years.

I think you have a no-hassle 21-day return window, where you can send the LCD back even if you don't like the color :D

Anyhow, the Dell 2005 was at one time to be notorious for bleeding, and I was hesitant myself to buy; however, I think that have since addressed most of the issues with the panels over time. I think that most of the people who have gotten a hold of their deals in recent months have been very satisfied.

deception``

Glad to hear that you like your 2005FPW. If you think this thing is huge you should see the 24" in person...lol. I have never used my analog input so I am not sure about your problem that, but like deception said...if you are using digital and it is working out okay there really is no problem. I am not sure about turn around, but you are always running a risk of getting dead pixels when you get a new LCD monitor.

Mine surprised me also. But of course coming from a 17" CRT to a 17" LCD to the 20.1" Widescreen was a big jump. I love the monitor though. I haven't tried the dvi cable yet, since my vid card only has a d-sub out. Still looks pretty good IMO.

well i got bad news :(

i started up a DVD and about half way through, once the LCD had gotten nice and toasty, the backlight started to bleed through like crazy. it started on the lower left, then the lower right, and then the upper right. it got to the point so that anything dark near the lower edge of the movie was impossible to make out.

here is a picture i just took of it, fully warmed up:
http://www.thesazi.com/images/dell2005FPW_backlight_bleed.jpg

how do i go about getting a new one? will they let me keep this one while they send me a new one?

oh, and i can't get the built in USB hub to work at all, windows always says "unrecognized USB device".

anasazi said:
well i got bad news :(

i started up a DVD and about half way through, once the LCD had gotten nice and toasty, the backlight started to bleed through like crazy. it started on the lower left, then the lower right, and then the upper right. it got to the point so that anything dark near the lower edge of the movie was impossible to make out.

here is a picture i just took of it, fully warmed up:
http://www.thesazi.com/images/dell2005FPW_backlight_bleed.jpg

how do i go about getting a new one? will they let me keep this one while they send me a new one?
oh, and i can't get the built in USB hub to work at all, windows always says "unrecognized USB device".

Yeah you a got bad one. Supposedly it takes some time for backlight bleeding to show up on some panels.

I'd just call up Dell and request either a replacement or a refund.

Best of luck to you!

deception``

anasazi said:

No chance will they let you keep it, they make you ship it back, and I believe pay for shipping, insurance and confirmation. Once they receive it, it takes them about a week to finally send you another one, which you wait another week or so for delivery.

dealing with dell's tech support over the internet chat system they have set up is easilly the most painful and frustrating experience i've ever had.

i'll have to call them after 9pm tonight so that they don't rack up 3 hours on my cell phone bill while on hold.

for future reference ...

it was friggin impossible to find a real live person to talk to on getting this thing exchanged. after talking to every dell support chat and being pinballed around dell's phone support i finally got to a real nice lady that set up an exchange without any problems what so ever.

so, if anyone has a problem with their dell monitors in the future, call:

800 624 9897

Last edited:
Omg that picture is of a black background? That looks horrid. I got my 2005fpw a few months ago and love it. There's a little backlight bleeding in the corners but it's not noticeable in any applications.

Yikes. I'm lucky I got a good one. Sorry to hear about your misfortune :(

And yes, Dell cust service is sooo frustrating to deal with. ARGHGH!

WOW, I just hope the camera makes it look worse than it does it real life. Also I hope mine works well, should be here today or tomorrow! Good luck on getting yours all sorted out.

anasazi said:
dealing with dell's tech support over the internet chat system they have set up is easilly the most painful and frustrating experience i've ever had.

Really? I had a decent experience with it when I used it about three months ago. I had a DVD burner fail and they set up a replacement at 3am. I've delt with Dell enough so I know the questions they are going to ask though so it helps. Just make sure to run the troubleshooting disk before calling them or tell them you did.

I just got 2 of them and neither one seems to have a bunch of bleeding. There is a little but its nothing that I have noticed bothering things. I was using a 22inch Mitsubishi before this. It much wider and brighter, I love the wide screen. I like the 2 monitors side by side but I'm considering sending them both back to get one 24inch. Still undecided. They do look nice and I hooked them up to my new evga 7800gt CO :D

on the back of my LCD it says revision A02

is this a known revision and does it generally have these backlight problems?

Back