• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need NETWORK parental control

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jimr2345

Hi all,

I am new here and first I want to thank you for your help!

I have a network in my home with 7 computers. Right now it goes:

Comcast cable modem to a linksys 4 port - router has 2 comps, a wireless access point and a hub attached. The hub has 4 comps on it.

So 6 machines hard wired and 1 is wireless. 2 machines are for my office - the wireless is my wifes and 4 are the kids. I want to know if there is any software that would let me turn off access to the kids machines when we are not home.

I am open to all possibilities but on the cheap side! I do have a P3 1.3 that I could use as a server but I would perfer a software solution. Just seems much easier! If we go out - I can turn off their access from my machine - not run around to 7 machines changing passwords or going through Netnanny or whatever.

Netnanny and such has to be loaded on each machine - and I assume disabled on each machine. I would think there is some way of doing this or something close.

A business can shut your work computer off in a heart beat - why cant I?

Let it roll boys - I am all ears or em eyes in this case. :shrug:

Jim

Hide the plug for the cable modem when you leave? My sis used to do this to me with the Nintendo. Drove me nuts!

If you look at your menu for your linksys router you should be able to figure out which IP's are the kids computers and then disable them at the router any time you want. This is from my D-link but I would think that linksys would have something similar:
Filters
Filters are used to allow or deny LAN users from accessing the Internet.
IP Filters MAC Filters

IP Filters
Use IP Filters to deny LAN IP addresses access to the Internet.
Enabled Disabled
IP -
Port -
Protocol Type TCP UDP Both
Schedule Always
From time 00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 : 00 05 10 15 20 25 30 35 40 45 50 55 AM PM to 00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 : 00 05 10 15 20 25 30 35 40 45 50 55 AM PM
day Sun Mon Tue Wed Thr Fri Sat to Sun Mon Tue Wed Thr Fri Sat
IP Filter List

IP Range Protocol Schedule
* TCP 20-21 always
* TCP 80 always
* TCP 443 always
* UDP 53 always
* TCP 25 always
* TCP 110 always
* TCP 23 always

What kind of linksys router do you have? On mine (WRT54G) you can block by MAC address or IP address just as skab said. It works great, I do it all the time :)

Back